- Paperback: 241 pages
- Publisher: Macmillan Computer Publishing; 3 edition (1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1562764500
- ISBN-13: 978-1562764500
- Product Dimensions: 1.3 x 22.2 x 26 cm
- Shipping Weight: 771 g
- See Complete Table of Contents
Users of the Mac and Linux systems will wish for illustrations that matched their computers--all of the screen shots in this book come from Microsoft Windows--but this book is beautiful in its understanding of what's important to most Internet users. Cadenhead explains how to connect to an Internet service provider (ISP), and goes beyond the expected e-mail and Web coverage to introduce chat (with both ICQ and AOL Instant Messenger) and stock portfolio tracking (on ClearStation). Cadenhead probably goes too far by attempting to cover Web publishing--the subject doesn't fit this format well--but, nonetheless, explains how to become a productive user of all aspects of the Internet. --David Wall
Topics covered: Essential skills required of a journeyman Internet user, including those that relate to e-mail, the Web, Usenet newsgroups, ICQ, and AOL. There's coverage of MP3 music (although not Napster), as well as introductory material on how to publish your own pages. --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
- Completely updated to include more information on the World Wide Web and the latest on virus protection, new browser plug-ins, commerce, and Internet telephone as well as coverage of the latest browsers from Microsoft and Netscape
- This book will help readers get up and surfing with a Internet by using a complete visual solution on every page --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.