- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Human Motor Control Hardcover – Jul 30 2009
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Motor Control is a complex process that involves the brain, muscles, limbs, and often external objects. It underlies motion, balance, stability, coordination, and our interaction with others and technology. This book is a comprehensive introduction to motor control, covering a complex topic in an approachable way encompassing the psychological, physiological, and computational approaches to motor control.
Human Motor Control, 2e cuts across all movement related disciplines: physical education, dance, physical therapy, robotics, etc. This second edition incorporates advances to the field, and integrates throughout the book how research harkens back to four critical questions: how do we select our actions of the many actions possible? How are these behaviors sequenced for appropriate order and timing between them? How does perception integrate with motor control? And how are perceptual motor skills acquired?
As before, the book retains its signature organization around activity systems. These activity systems include walking, looking, reaching, drawing and writing, keyboarding, speaking and singing, and smiling. Chapters here exemplify rather than encompass all the behaviors related to them. Hence smiling discusses physical and neural control of the face used in other expressions besides smiling, as well as the origins of emotional expression, and the importance of emotion expression in social interaction. These chapters on activity systems are preceded by chapters on basics, with an introduction and information on the physiological and psychological foundations of movement. The last section discusses integration of movements, individual differences, theories of motor control, and the contributions of both genetics and technology to motor control.
Special features of the second edition:
Organization by major activity systems
New: brain imaging, social action, embodied cognition, advances in genetics and technology
Detailed treatment of motor neuroscience
Further Readings section added to each chapter
About the Author
David A. Rosenbaum, Distinguished Professor of Psychology at the Pennsylvania State University, is an award-winning researcher and teacher in the field of cognitive psychology.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
David Rosenbaum is the Distinguished Professor of Psychology, Penn state university.
This book includes every things about Human movement. And the neuro-psychological approach about human movement is very useful for students and clinicians.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > By Topic > Motor Functions
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Neuropsychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Physiological Aspects
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Science
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Neuropsychology