|2. One Step Closer|
|3. With You|
|4. Points Of Authority|
|7. By Myself|
|8. In the End|
|9. A Place for My Head|
|11. Cure for the Itch|
|12. Pushing Me Away|
Before I review the songs, I must state that people are giving this cd flak without even listening to it. This is metal and rap and some techno, but you don't have to say it's not 100% metal or rap or techno. I mean, Snoop Dogg and Metallica tours with Linkin Park. I think that explains it.
Now on with the review.
1. Papercut: Breakbeat metal. This song is about paranoia, which makes me wonder if they accidently spelt Papercut instead of Paranoid. It goes from a techno styled intro into a metal styled chorus and into the rap styled verses. The break is pretty good, where the instruments tone down to just the drums and they rap, "The Face inside is right beneath the skin." After that, it goes into a beautifal ending, where chester sings "The sun goes down; I feel the light betray me." and back into a combination of the chorus and so.
2. One Step Closer: Rock. This song is pretty good. It was made to describe the process of making lyrics to Runaway, which turned into a small quarrel. Other than that, it describes getting pushed closer and closer to the edge to the point of insanity, and before you can even respond, you're being interrupted. Before this song was ever made, I caught myself saying, "You're getting me one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break!" There's also a break in the enhanced/live version of this song, which is pretty cool sounding. Then it goes into the highly angsty "SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU" Break. Overall, this song is great.
3. With You: Eletronic Rap Rock and the best song on the album. It starts out with a synthy-scratchy intro with only guitars playing. After a few seconds, the scratch stops and BAM!!! The guitars blare, the drums sound, and there's ALOT of scratching. Then the song calms down into a highly emotional set of instruments and the opening lyrics "I woke up in a dream today: to the cold of the static and I put my cold feet on the floor. Forgot all about yesterday and remembering I'm pretending to be who I'm not anymore." After a while, the chorus, which is a blank verse of iambic pentameter which is very wierd for music, sounds of and the insane guitars and drums come back. It's hard to describe the song, but I think it comes down to the break, "No matter how far we've come by, I can't wait to see tommorow: with you."
4. Points of authority: Rock. The song has some of the best guitars of Linkin Park. The song is pretty much about the title, the points of authority, about one having too much power and not giving the ones around another thought.
5. Crawling: Eletronic Rock. A slower, sadder song, about personal paranoia/insecurity of ones personality traits. Has a good build in intro, but they removed the break from the original version. The only flaw in this song: it's the reason why people thing they're a boy band.
6. Runaway: Eletronica. This song is a more contreversial song, because it's about getting lied to, betrayed, attacked, and finally just running away.
7. By Myself: Industrial Rap. The song is about having more paranoia than defense or allies. The verses are pretty quiet and calm, but the chorus has an industrial feel.
8. In the end: Eletronic rap. This song is quite sad, but the message is good: the journey is more important than the end or the start. If you fail or succeed, once it's over it shouldn't bother you anymore. The break is good, too. "I put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go, and for all this, there's only one thing you should know." It goes from light to heavy and back to the chorus.
9. A place for my head: Metal. This song was altered TWICE before being put onto hybrid theory! This song is about parasitism, a simbiosis where one benifits while the other suffers. The song's rock is constant. It never calms down until the break "You tried to take the best of me: go away." Then it goes back into the insanity. Just for the note, there's a "MUTHA**** YA!!" at the end of the song, but it was cut from the album version.
10. Forgotten: Eletronica Metal Rap. This song is about being left in a dark, dimsal ghetto-like place. The remix on Reanimation is alot more darker, but that's another review. This song isn't played much at the Linkin Park concerts... Didn't see that coming!
11. Cure for the Itch: Eletronica and Turntablism: This song is nothing but scratching and turntablism, so "Let's hear it for the great Mr. Hahn!"
12. Pushing me away: Rock. Much like Numb, this is a slower emotional track with the same message, only this is a tad different.
Overall, this CD rocks. Do yourself a favor, Linkin Park listeners, Non-Linkin Park Listeners, haters who hate Linkin Park and never heard their good songs, and people who are reading this review, and GET THIS CD!!!
12.Pushing Me Away-10/10-gr8 song to end the album...similar lyrics to With You but instead of him losing someone, he leaves the other person