- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability Paperback – Feb 1 1981
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar: A Shining Star
The great Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910–1995), recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1983 for his work on the later evolutionary stages of massive stars, was not only the author of several books reprinted by Dover over many years, but a frequent and highly valued reviewer of titles in his field during the 1970s and 1980s. Chandrasekhar's books, published by Dover, are: An Introduction to the Theory of Stellar Structure, 1967; Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability, 1981; Principles of Stellar Dynamics, 2005; Ellipsoidal Figures of Equilibrium, 1987; and Radiative Transfer, 1960.
For those concerned with the distant future ― the really distant future ― Chandrasekhar's name will always be associated with the Chandrasekhar Limit, the figure of 1.44 solar masses, the minimal mass above which a dying star will collapse into a black hole following a supernova. People on Earth need not be bothered anticipating such drama: for us, when the sun dies, the lights will just go out. In astrophysical terms, our sun will at that point be a stable white dwarf.
Critical Acclaim for Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar:
"Any new fact or insight that I may have found has not seemed to me as a 'discovery' of mine, but rather something that had always been there and that I had chanced to pick up. I discovered true mathematical elegance from Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar." ― Carl Sagan
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Pictures and illustrations are direct and informative.Great buy in short.
extremely helpful for the people working on Hydrodynamic and
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electricity Principles
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Fluid Mechanics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Hydraulics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Dynamics > Fluid Dynamics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Fluid Mechanics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Mechanics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mechanics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics