- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Image Processing Handbook, Fifth Edition Hardcover – Dec 19 2006
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Dr. John C. Russ is the recipient of the 2006 Ernst Abbe Memorial Award of the New York Microscopical Society, for achievements made in the field of microscopy.
For more information, visit http://nyms.org
About the Author
Ken Hillis is Associate Professor of Communication Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is author of Digital Sensations: Space, Identity and Embodiment in Virtual Reality.Michael Petit is Mellon Lecturing Fellow at the University Writing Program in the Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing at Duke University. He is author of Peacekeepers at War: A Marine's Account of the Beirut Catastrophe.Nathan Epley is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Communication Studies, at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a contributing editor for NMEDIAC: The Journal of New Media and Culture.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The jewel in the crown of this book is the companion CD. It contains over 200 Photoshop plug-ins for performing the operations mentioned in this book. These plug-ins work on 8-bit grayscale and 24 bit RGB images and are divided into the categories of image adjustment, color manipulation, image math, boolean operations, Fourier processing, morphological operations, neighborhood processing, distance-map operations, thresholding, feature measurement, calibration, stereology, and surface rendering. The bad news is that you have to obtain the CD separately. If you need to understand the detailed mathematics behind such operations, you might consult Digital Image Processing by Gonzalez and Woods, and then come back to this book for the tools to accomplish the operations explained in that book. The updates to this fifth edition include an additional chapter on human vision and how it ties into image processing. Also, the author has updated his sections on image acquisition hardware and software to describe the latest tools available. Finally, the topic of tomographic imaging has been expanded and given its own chapter and the chapter on 3-D image acquisition has been deleted.
This is an excellent book on image processing from a systems engineering and user standpoint. You will be disappointed if you expect to learn the algorithms behind the techniques demonstrated in this book.
I would recommend it to users or beginners in image processing who want to familiarize themselves with image processing concepts. The content is light and accessible.
However I would definitely not recommend this book for experts, researchers or engineers.
In general this book does not cover the background mathematics that enables image processing. Those are left to specialty books on the subject. Instead this book is intended to be used in conjunction with hands-on equipment where the reader is encouraged to experiment with different methods to determine what is needed for the particular job.
While suitable for use as a text, this book is really a handbook for technical users. The book is more oriented to what the various tools availavle to help actually do.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Artificial Intelligence > Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Pattern Recognition
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Bioengineering > Biotechnology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Computer Technology > Imaging Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Optics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Special Topics > Biotechnology
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Graphics & Visualization
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Mechanical Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Biotechnology