From the Back Cover
Your in-depth guide to implementing and optimizing an effectiveintrusion detection system for your network
Here’s the in-the-trenches handbook you’ve beenlooking for, loaded with information and tips from real casestudies that will help you deploy, configure, and monitor aneffective intrusion detection system. Step-by-step instructionsguide you through the process of configuring identification andauthentication, mandatory and discretionary access control,physical security, and more. You’ll get practical knowledgeof honeynets, IP and MAC addressing, log analysis, and IDSstandards, and learn to manage network traffic volume in theIDS.
Tim Crothers gives you the benefit of his own extensiveexperience, furnishing sample IDS deployments and professional tipsthat boost your efficiency. If you’re responsible for networksecurity, this is the guidebook that will help you get a goodnight’s sleep–at last.
You’ll learn how to:
- Implement an effective IDS for host, network, and combinedsystems
- Understand challenges like evasion, unknown attacks, and falsealerts
- Verify, test, and fine-tune intrusion detection systems
- Analyze various IDS products and determine what meets yourorganization’s needs
- Cope with legal issues and architectural challenges
- Identify, verify, and respond to different types of attacks andalerts
- Investigate security breaches and prevent recurrences
About the Author
TIM CROTHERS, CCNA, CIW, MCSE, MCT, CNE, is chief security engineer for ITM Technology, an e-security provider, and the author of Internet Lockdown. He developed the curriculum for an Internet security consulting practice he headed at Prosoft, and has also been a consultant and trainer for IBM, Lucent Technologies, DEC, and other leading organizations.