- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
In Defence of Plain English: The Decline and Fall of Literacy in Canada Paperback – Sep 1 1992
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
This indispensable guide to the English language belongs beside the dictionary in every Canadian home. Written in an easy-to-understand light-hearted style, the content of the book is nevertheless serious and important. Our language is declining; illiteracy is rampant. Worse, the sloppy, incorrect use of language is perpetrated by educators, the media, politicians, and others who should be setting a good example.
Besides giving simple illustrations of the correct use of grammar and choice of words, the author deals with the commonest offences: language misused, mis-spelled, and misunderstood, and the appalling use of words (usually incorrect) that many people consider sophisticated or "classy."
Using actual quotations from essays of university students, the media, and even "good" books, the author clearly defines bad English and explains in a straightforward manner how to change it to good English. What makes this book unique is its complete lack of pretentiousness and its powerful plea for the return of plain English.
About the Author
Victoria Branden, BA (Hon.), MA, taught English for many years. She has written numerous articles and short stories for newspapers and magazines, including Saturday Night and Chatelaine, as well as radio and TV dramas and series for the CBC. Her published books include Understanding Ghosts and two novels, Flitterin' Judas and Mrs. Job. She received the 1991 award as "Environmentalist of the Year" for articles on environmental issues, to which she is deeply committed.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Communication
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Grammar
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Canadian
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Communications
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Reference