Inspirations: Original Lyrics And the Stories Behind The Greatest Songs Ever Written Paperback – Sep 25 1999
See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
There are no customer reviews yet on Amazon.ca
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
5 of 7 people found the following review helpful
By Rachel Adler - Published on Amazon.com
This is an amazong book that tells the stories behind some of musics most intriguiging lyrics, that all of us know and love. Gives real insight to the motivation of the bands/writers of the songs. A must if you are a hard-core music fan or the lyrics, not jus hte music itself.
By S. L. OREILLY - Published on Amazon.com
What a wasted opportunity. The author seemed sadly uninspired. Several entries were merely procedural anecdotes ("We needed a song for the album so I wrote this one ..") The songs are presented alphabetically, which detracts from the artistic and emotional impact. A chronological listing would've been better, or grouped thematically or by genre. Some of the lyric snippets are presented in stylized form, such as written on a slatted chair, a dress shirt, a glass jar, which is interesting, but most of the handwritten lyrics are illegible AND 99% of the songs are incomplete; in some cases it's only a title and artist signature. Original lyrics, technically, NOT complete lyrics. In my opinion a book purporting to be original lyrics and stories behind the greatest songs ever written should contain the lyrics to the showcased songs, if not on the song's feature page at least indexed in the back (alphabetically would make sense there). Another irritating omission: photographs of the artists and/or authors. It would serve to put the songs in context, lend some familiarity. Some album cover art or band logo or movie stills for those songs made famous as soundtracks, etc. This could've been a great book with a little effort and a little more inspirations.
By Amazon Customer - Published on Amazon.com
I was very disaponted in this book. The reasons given for inspiration of these songs seem far fetched and contrived at best. The author seemed like he was not interested in the subject matter and it showed n the tone it was written . Many of the examples given must have been made up out of whole cloth because they were so unlikely and unenteresting; no one would have been inspired to write anything about the event. Save your money and let your own imagination reason why some writer wrote that song.
By acme man - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
this was a big disappointment, maybe because i've read so many books like this. way too much visual junk and very little to read. i also didn't learn anything new.
By jacki - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
not sure if was as good as thought maybe I just don't know names of songs so not sure which they are always talking of but neat idea for sure..
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Composers & Musicians > Country & Folk
- Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Biographies > Country & Folk
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > History & Criticism
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Instruments & Performers > Voice
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Lieder & Art Songs
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Popular
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Popular
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Reference
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Songwriting
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Music