International Corporate Governance After Sarbanes-Oxley Hardcover – Mar 3 2006
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
In International Corporate Governance After Sarbanes-Oxley, editors Paul Ali and Greg Gregoriou bring together some of the world's top experts on corporate governance. These expertseach of whom have contributed papers on the impact of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (and legislation influenced by it) on corporate governance worldwideshare their in-depth insights and knowledge of this topic to help you to navigate the complex field of international corporate governance.
Divided into five comprehensive parts, Inter-national Corporate Governance After Sarbanes-Oxley offers accessible discussions of criticalissues such as:
- The ethical and political underpinnings of corporate governance and the relationship between corporate governance and economic performance and stock markets
- The corporate governance aspects of trans-actions in the global financial markets, including the governance of hedge funds, and the role of institutional and other investors in corporate governance
- Shareholder empowerment and the corporate governance implications of different owner-ship structures and the balance of power between shareholders
- Executive power and corporate governance measures directed at the board level
- The future of corporate governance, in terms of corporations and their internal/external stakeholders, family-dominated corporations, and the seeming ubiquity of corporate governance codes
Corporate governance has become a top priority for not only legal and accounting professionals, but also for those in the broader business and investment communities. Due to the measures taken by regulators around the world in response to the highly publicized collapses of Enron, WorldCom, and Parmalatas well as other corporate frauds and accounting scandalscorporate governance has become even more difficult to master. But with International Corporate Governance After Sarbanes-Oxley as your guide, you'll become familiar with some of the most important aspects of this discipline and learn how it could affect the way business is conducted around the world.
From the Back Cover
"The Sabanes-Oxley Act has been one of the most significant developments in corporate and securities regulation since the New Deal. This collection of important articles would be a valuable resource for anyone seeking to understand Sabanes-Oxley's far-reaching effects on corporate governance in the United States and elsewhere."
Jesse Fried, coauthor of Pay Without Performance: The Unfulfilled Promise of Executive Compensation and Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley
"The editors have assembled the latest cutting-edge research on international corporate governance by respected academics in this field. In this?handbook, the editors?deal with all aspects of the?significant legislative changes to corporate governance regulation. It introduces the reader to the new?rules that will certainly improve the reliability?and the accuracy of disclosures?made by corporations. The?book comes at the right moment with the recent scandals such as Enron, which will educate?all readers especially shareholders of corporate?stock."
Komlan?Sedzro, Professor of Finance, University of Quebec at Montreal
"Today, corporate governance is a topic at the center of public policy debate in most industrialized countries. The range of concerns; the variety of approaches; and their tendency to converge in some areas or diverge in others (not always in the right directions) are emphatically demonstrated by these essays. There is material here of enormous interest for scholars of comparative law and economic regulation. And significantly, the presentation of essays from legal, financial, and regulatory viewpoints demonstrates the growing practical as well as theoretical utility of interdisciplinary work in this area. Professors Ali and Gregoriou are to be warmly congratulated for their skill and initiative in assembling an important publication, as well as for their own contributions to interdisciplinary scholarship."
R. P. Austin, BA, LLM (Sydney), DPhil (Oxon), Supreme Court of New South Wales
"This very international collection emphasizes the economic line of descent, while including legal and socio-legal contributions. It fills a very important gap in our empirical knowledge of corporate governance. It is accessible and comprehensive and will greatly assist readers from all relevant disciplines, who are trying to discern the shape of corporate governance as a mature field."
Dimity Kingsford Smith, Professor of Law, University of New South Wales
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Ethics involves a determination of what is right and what is wrong; or in the words of the Greek philosopher, Epicurus, ethics "deals with things to be sought and things to be avoided, with ways of life and the (end of life)" (Laertius 1925). Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Finance > Corporate Finance
- Books > Business & Investing > Investing
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics
- Books > Law
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Finance > Corporate Finance
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Law