The Internet and the Language Classroom Paperback – Nov 6 2000
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'The Internet and the Language Classroom' certainly lives up to the promise on the sub-title: "a practical guide for teachers". Many of the activities can be adapted for the Business English classroom.' BESIG Business Issues Newsletter
'At a time of near-inflationary publication of books about information and communications technology, this title is noteworthy because of its exhaustive list of 54 practical activities for exploiting the internet in foreign language teaching.' Language Teaching Journal
This book offers clear guidance on the practicalities of internet as a resource and classroom tool and a range of practical activities grouped by themes and levels.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
To be fair to the author, it's probably too much to ask for him to continually update the book when change happens so frequently and rapidly in the tech world. And yet, if you're going to write a book about it... maybe more general recommendations for implementing technology in the classroom is advisable. Granted, there are some activities in this book which surprisingly have withstood the tests of time, but there aren't nearly enough of them to justify paying the heavy cost of this book.
After reading the book in its entirety, I would say it is ideal for those teachers who are teaching in very remote corners of the world where resources are few and where computers are just being introduced to the society--like those cyber villages that have sprung up as of late. There are some very, VERY basic lesson plans here on how to use web browsers and conduct searches (albeit using Yahoo!) which may--MAY--prove useful to students who have never been exposed to this sort of thing (although I'm inclined to say that within a few years' time, one will be hard-pressed to find such a student, at least on this planet). If you aren't one of these teachers in the year of 2014, then save yourself the trip down memory lane.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Internet & Education
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > Computer Dictionaries
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Computer
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics