summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on November 18, 2006
The concept behind "Intuitive eating" is both simple and effective especially if you don't suffer from compulsive behavior, which is difficult to overcome without a support group. I think that this is a detailed and valuable lifestyle program or more like guidelines for paying less attention to food and down playing its importance in your life. This IS important for successful weight loss. I have to say that the emotional side of the process is very important, although there is also physical/biochemical side, which is not thoroughly covered. That's why I think that you should pair it with "your scientific diet" for 100% superior coverage of the broad spectrum of issues and challenges that lay ahead of each person who wants to lose weight quickly and easily. Intuitive Eating focuses on how to eat and heal from within instead of blacklisting and whitelisting many foods. The two authors are very knowledgeable and I am confident that this is one of the must have books for everyone facing weight issues.
on May 5, 2004
I'm only on chapter 5 and I can only say that I have been totally amazed and uplifted at what I have read!
I decided to make 2004 the "year of me". I'm overweight and just didn't have time for me. So I started 2004 with the goal that I was going on a journey of self-awareness and discovery. I started with massages and therapy. I decided to stop beating myself up over my body image, to start paying attention to me and to try and unravel why I eat. I have found I am much happier and contented-- then a friend (overcoming bulemia) recommended this book for me.
I was ready for this book. I don't know if this book will be helpful if you are in a bad spot still because I think some people will interpret the "eat what you want" as permission to go all out on a regular basis. In the foreward the authors mention this book is best used in conjunction with therapy and perhaps antidepressants. You need to be open-minded enough to WANT to figure out why you eat what you do. Let's face it... we didn't get to be 50++ pounds overweight because we like to feel so miserable. This is a journey and you have to be ready for the discovery, the challenge, the rewards, the set backs and then finally the end destination.
Anyone who has ever dieted, and especially those who lived in eating-disordered households (not just talking about the biggies of anorexia and bulemia...) will see, as I did, their disfunctional dieting attitudes spread out in black and white. I saw myself in the first 22 pages, and just seeing it all there written out.. it is just so obvious how rooted my horrible dieting "logic" (or lack thereof) is in me.
Have you ever said you were going to have a farewell to food just before your diet? Have you ever made up little rules with yourself like "don't eat past 6" or "you can't eat what you didn't buy"? I did and it all seems so sick now.
The book does an excellent job at showing how to get rid of these NEGATIVE emotions and feelings about food. Food shouldn't be the major part of your day. Life should be the major part of your day.
As I mentioned, I'm only in chapter 5 and already I feel so positive, so empowered and finally-- FINALLY-- I am starting to feel like I can rid myself of this obsessive, complicated, negative diet logic.
Thank you for this book!!!
on January 18, 2004
I've read quite a few diet books, and in the past ten years I never was at my desired weight. But now I am actually at the weight where I want to be (155), and partly it's because of this great book. I've also made some other changes, but this book was a big help. It's all simple stuff that you have probably heard somewhere before. But the authors have collected what I think is the key to getting to a healthy weight and being happy with it. (And that's what it is about for me: health and acceptance.) Simple example: Eat what you like in moderation. On previous diets, I tried to cut out chocolate, which I love. Now I eat lots of chocolate, probably a little bit too much if a certified dietician looked at my diet. But it's a good tradeoff for me. I am satisfied, and it's easy for me to stay at my current weight. Another example: accept and love your body. Health and self-acceptance should be the goals, not some billboard picture of a different body type.
As I said, it's simple stuff. But I haven't found it anywhere in such a good package, and it worked for me. As opposed to calorie counting, forbidden foods, and making your life miserable.
on July 10, 2004
It is amazing how in the United States we have such an unhealthy relationship with the pleasures of eating. Either we are overstuffing ourselves with unreasonable restaraunt portions, or we are on a strict diet with a long list of "good" and "bad" foods. This wonderful book guides us into returning to our own natural instinct to eat when we are hungry and stop when we feel comfortably full or satiated. It is not about a diet "plan", there are no good foods, or bad .It is about getting in touch with what our bodies are telling us to eat and when. It is about regaining the pleasure and enjoyment of eating without guilt and punishment. It is about letting go of the diet mentality that has overtaken this country. This book has helped me realize the guilt and overindulgence I have experienced from the world of dieting. It is helping me to respect my body and do what's right for me.
on April 5, 2004
This book was recommended to me by a registered dietician. I've never been a chronic dieter but have had some problems with eating in the past year. This book is amazing for anyone, even if you're not the typical chronic dieter. It makes you realize a lot aobut eating and encourages getting back to natural ways of eating rather than dieting. I really enjoyed how it didn't focus on dieting but getting back to healthy eating and living without having to be obsessed with eating and eating habits.
on June 1, 2004
I just got it and I already feel different about how to eat. It's amazing how such a revolutionary concept can be so simple. The books main principles are stop dieting, respect your body, eat only what you really want when you want it and stop when you're full. This book has taught me to get in touch with my hunger again after living a life of diets, distress and food restriction. If you have problems with food, do yourself a favor and buy this book. It's the best $15 you will ever spend.
on March 3, 2004
This was just the help I needed to recognize that binge eating for me isn't even about food! I have been all too consumed with food for too long but after reading this book I discovered that I eat for a variety of reasons. As soon as I gave myself unconditional permission to eat what I want, when I want, I felt truly relieved. I am still in the process of overcoming binge eating but this book has been a great tool, written in a caring and positive manner. Thanks!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 13, 2013
I am a psychotherapist and recommend this book to all of my clients who are having difficulty with emotional eating, disordered eating or eating disorders.
on May 15, 2016
Great book, teaches us how to eat properly and in balance. Not a fad diet book. Really liked it! I wish I read it sooner.
on June 19, 2011
This book still has not arrived. It may be due to the Canada Post strike, but I would really like some feedback or a refund because I haven't received it.