This Wrox Blox explains touch input events and illustrates how to detect an orientation change, capture two-finger scrolling inputs, and simulate a drag-and-drop action when designing applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Web developers designing applications for Mobile Safari, the browser on iPhone and iPod Touch, are able to easily incorporate touch input event handling without writing any code at all. However, while page flicking and scrolling are easy to implement, Mobile Safari does not provide a way to trap or override most touch interactions, nor does it allow developers full access to all DOM events.
Perhaps the most important event handling constraint is that no events trigger until the user’s finger leaves the touch screen. However, because developers are able to trap for viewport orientation changes, they do have full programmatic control over their application when the orientation changes between portrait and landscape modes. As a result, you can adjust CSS styling and positioning based on the current mode.
Usage Rights for Wiley Wrox Blox
Any Wrox Blox you purchase from this site will come with certain restrictions that allow Wiley to protect the copyrights of its products. After you purchase and download this title, you:
- Are entitled to three downloads
- Are entitled to make a backup copy of the file for your own use
- Are entitled to print the Wrox Blox for your own use
- Are entitled to make annotations and comments in the Wrox Blox file for your own use
- May not lend, sell or give the Wrox Blox to another user
- May not place the Wrox Blox file on a network or any file sharing service for use by anyone other than yourself or allow anyone other than yourself to access it
- May not copy the Wrox Blox file other than as allowed above
- May not copy, redistribute, or modify any portion of the Wrox Blox contents in any way without prior permission from Wiley
If you have any questions about these restrictions, you may contact Customer Care at (877) 762-2974 (8 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday). If you have any issues related to Technical Support, please contact us at 800-762-2974 (United States only) or 317-572-3994 (International) 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday).