Just ordered this Kaboom for my wife, she's a cheer coach and needed something that will not distort at louder volume and can fill large areas for practices, like a gym. She hasn't used it yet in the gym, but set up at home was a pretty impressive experience. This thing is loud.
1. Docks & Charges iPhone, iPods. Music plays right through it and with the remote you can control FF and REW within a song. Only functions for controlling iPhone/iPod on the actual boombox are play/pause. So don't lose the remote!
2. Loud! Bass knob on left, volume on right. Large, easy to turn knobs with numbers of volume on blue LCD screen. Subwoofers on ends are protected by metal screens. I'm not an audiophile, so to me this thing sounds pretty good.
3. Smart doors! CD door and iPhone/iPod dock door have a nifty little twist to open feature. I've had portables before that all you have to do is push to open, so consequently any time you bump the doors they open. Not the case here, I like their set up.
4. This has an auxilary/line in, in addition to a 1/4" guitar jack. I'm not sure why JVC wouldn't advertise the Aux In, as people care more about that now days. There's one on there!
5. Easy layout- buttons on the front are there, big enough, simple to use.
6. Not too heavy.
1. There are some features that can only be accessed through the remote, so don't lose it. Which brings me to #2-
2. No remote dock! Portable stereo? Yes. Big in size? Yes. So why not slim the remote down a little and make a docking slot for it on the unit so I don't have to put on sticky velcro and ghetto it up.
3. Price- For this price (paid $270) it performs, but is missing some of these important features listed, lending a four star rating over five.
4. NO FREAKING CORD WRAP! Come on! I couldn't believe that a portable system, with a SHOULDER STRAP for crying out loud, would not have some kind of power cord wrap on it. Give me a break. Especially at this price, it's a major oversight. This combined with a missing remote dock/storage option is enough to make me want to give it 3 stars.
5. Not a huge fan of the plastics used. Here's what I'd love- tough trash can type plastic for the body with rubber ends. Again, at this price, I think it's something JVC missed. I feel like they are capitalizing on it being a guitar amp and charging more for that (in my opinion, irrelevant) feature.
Would I buy it again? Yes. Price is too high though, and if the price were to stay there then it needs some more very PRACTICAL features on it. But it works- does the job and plays music how it is supposed to: LOUD.