- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
James Joyce, Ulysses, and the Construction of Jewish Identity: Culture, Biography, and 'the Jew' in Modernist Europe Paperback – Nov 13 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"...at every turn this superb study introduces fresh perspectives on an important subject." James Joyce Literary Supplement
Neil R. Davison argues that Joyce's lifelong encounter with pseudo-scientific, religious, and political discourse about 'the Jew' forms a unifying component of his career. Davison offers new biographical material to support the claim that 'the Jew' was a dynamic aspect of Joyce's imagination from youth to adulthood, and presents a detailed reading of Ulysses to show how Joyce confronts the controversy of 'race,' the psychology of internalized stereotype, and the contradictions of anti-Semitism in pre-Holocaust Europe.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > People, A-Z > ( J ) > Joyce, James
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Modernism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Religious Studies > Judaism