- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Kim Jong-il's Leadership of North Korea Hardcover – Dec 9 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Jae-Cheon Lim is researcher at the Institute for Korean Unification studies, Yonsei University
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
What disappoints regarding Lim's study is what is missing. There is little attempt to define a prevailing political culture in North Korea or to offer an analysis of how Kim Jong-il views the world, as well as the manner in which these two dynamics affect such strategic issues as the acquisition of nuclear weapons. Nor is there any discussion of how Kim and his close family members (sister and brother-in-law, in particular) turned North Korea into one of the world's most unusual kleptocracies, one which has apparently gone so far as to sponsor state-run counterfeiting of U.S. currency. Lim's strengths are his meticulous research style and ability to put North Korean domestic political moves into historical context. Regarding matters that require more intuitive, synthesizing assessments, he appears to be less comfortable.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Asia > Korea > North
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Leaders & Leadership
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Ethnic Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science