march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on July 2, 2014
An awesome read and you really learn about how terrible the world is to animals. You also learn A LOT about the food you eat. I recommend you read this before starting a vegan diet if you are iffy. I ate meat for 25 years, so my transition has been difficult. I refer back to this book to remind myself.

Plus there are some yummy recipes in here, but with expensive ingredients. You can substitute for cheaper ingredients but still staying healthy.
on January 4, 2010
The book is fun yet informative. Purely inspirational. If you're thinking of making the leap to vegan or just exploring what a plant-based diet is, this is the book for you. Beautiful photos and wonderful references with a great online community.
on August 29, 2014
Alicia Silverstone's diet / lifestyle recommendations are well-researched and presented in a fun, conversational tone. I have been inspired by several of her recipes. The volume has exquisite photographs as well! The world can always use a little more kindness. : )
on April 4, 2010
I heard about this book on Oprah and planned to get it from the library. When I saw how many holds there were, I decided to buy it from Amazon. I was not disappointed in the least. The author provides very current information to back up her reasons for choosing a plant based diet. She does not try to use "shock value" but rather,to educate with factual data. I appreciate her honesty when discussing some of the challenges of eliminating animal foods from ones diet. She also breaks down the diet into three categories depending on ones level of commitment. The first half of the book discusses the typical North American diet and why it is so unhealthy and unethical. The second half of the book is full of easy to prepare recipes, so there is something for everyone in this book.
on November 17, 2009
This is much more than a cookbook. I feel like I am reading a letter from a good friend and her advice is heart warming without being preachy, which is great. I am not a vegan, but I definately will be trying to eat less meat and try more healthy alternatives from her book. Thanks Alicia.
on January 4, 2010
I love this book! It is non-judgmental, but very informative about eating better and preserving our planet. Good job!
on February 19, 2012
I LOVE this book. It first sets the foundation by explaining all of the wonderful benefits of switching to a Kind (or kinder) diet. It does so in an easy-to-follow-and-understand and laid-back manner while still being highly educational. It explains simple ways to switch to a plant-based diet such as how to stock your kitchen appropriately and gives a lot of great ideas for people who want to "flirt" with vegetarianism or veganism.

The book really focuses on the importance of treating yourself kindly, and not only with the food you put into your body, but offers a few pointers on exercise, taking time to de-stress, and to take good care of yourself all around. The recipes are fantastic, I've tried many of the dessert recipes and a couple of the dinner ones and they've been easy to follow and very delicious. The photos throughout the book are absolutely lovely to look at.

Silverstone's writing is a delight to read, it flows well, is "hip" and fun, and you feel like you're learning from a friend. It's a total feel-good book. Personally, it's led to my making some major lifestyle changes that I feel wonderful about.
on October 18, 2010
As a 48 year old business manager guy, I was totally skeptical about this book and diet. Sadly, I already was developing health/weight issues and had to take action. I'd tried low-fat, Mediterranean, Atkins, South Beach, etc. etc. diets and none of them produced significant changes in my blood work and overall health.

Then I did something remarkable...I actually bought and read this book. I have to say it changed my life! I'm in excellent health now. I can't thank Alicia and Dr. Neal Barnard enough!

After some Googling I also found out about Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr and a 20-year study in the "American Journal of Cardiology" that backs up virtually everything in Alicia's book.

Today I'm super healthy and feel 20 years younger thanks to "The Kind Diet". The strange part was that the "decision" to try this diet was the hardest part -"living the diet" is really easy and the food is delicious!

Thank you Alicia for saving my life and my health!
on May 7, 2010
I'm very impressed with the way Alicia lives her life. I am already eating a plant based diet but her book has inspired me to take one step further towards health by reducing the amount of processed and convenience foods that I rely on.
I have a lot of vegan cookbooks including this one. I got it a few years ago when it first came out, and while I still have it, I don't use it often. A macrobiotic diet isn't my preferred choice of how to eat, although I really like Alicia's approach to writing this book and her message of eating healthy plant based foods. The recipes I did try were good but not exceptional. Apart from the tabbouleh salad (my favorite dish in the book) nothing really stood out as something I would make often.
Also some of the ingredients she uses are expensive and difficult to find. Not my favorite book, but not a bad addition to a vegan recipe collection.