LOST MUSIC-CASSETTE Audio Cassette – Abridged, Audiobook
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
Despite playful illustrations featuring an engaging animal cast, this well-intentioned picture book is flawed by poor textual layout and awkward prose. Fed up with an overload of noise, Gustav Mole takes his recalcitrant children on a world tour--"to warn the world and to rediscover the music they had lost." From Budapest to Bali, Gustav drums up support for his cause, and is in turn serenaded by such creatures as cimbalom-playing badgers (Hungary), a sitar-playing tiger (India) and a kangaroo on the didgeridoo (Australia). The visual information on wildlife and ethnic music is the highlight of the book--Meyrick's detailed watercolors are splendidly merry--but unfortunately, her prose is not as sleek. (Older readers and young listeners alike may have trouble with such convoluted verbiage as "The moles' mood mellowed as they savoured slow food, to the cordial piano accordion of a busking boulevard badger.") Coupled with the seemingly random layout of text--some pages so crowded with chunks of print that the story line is almost impossible to follow--this makes for a difficult read-aloud, effectively eliminating a major portion of the intended audience. Ages 3-10.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The pictures are wonderful though, and we basically used the pictures and told our own story to go with it. Highly recommend checking it out from the library first before purchasing it, since you might not think you need to buy it after you read it. The author tries to crack a few jokes (only adults will get it, I think) that fly over the children's head. An Indonesian instrument is compared to a god, there's another religious reference about African instruments too. Just OK.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Classics
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Educational
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Languages
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Music
- Books > Audiobooks > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Languages > Children
- Books > Audiobooks > Reference > Study Guides
- Books > Children's Books > Classics
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Chapter Books & Readers > Beginner Readers
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Books on Cassette > Children
- Books > Education & Reference > Studying & Workbooks > Study Guides
- Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Classics