countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 20, 2002
In my opinion, MARIAN HENLEY is an extraordinarily gifted writer and artist. It's quite rare to find a comic strip in which the writing AND the drawing are equally brilliant-- but MAXINE is a prime example.
I can't think of another comic strip author who can move so freely and naturally between fantasy, observational humor, social and political satire, stark symbolism and deep personal insight.
And, as beautifully crafted as her strips are, they all have that special quality of truly great art-- they seem as effortless as a daydream.
I highly recommend this book to all men who'd like to understand women, all women who'd like to understand men, and anyone under the delusion that he understands housecats.
Ed Newmann
Director of Animation
Calabash Animation, Inc.
on January 29, 2003
I've enjoyed the Maxine comic strip for years. In fact it's about the only one I read. And Maxine is so much more than just a comic strip. It's real, it's funny, it's insightful, it's human. It's reality described through comic strip characters, from a woman's point of view of course. So what a pleasant surprise to find the best of Maxine all bound up for me to enjoy while laughing myself into a frenzy. Ah, good times...
on December 19, 2002
Henley holds up a whimsical magic mirror to society and the world in which we live. Intelligent, insightful, thoughtful, revealing and all with a wry sense of humor. If one of Maxine's life observations strikes a wrong note its worth taking a long look at yourself, as it has probably hit a little to close for comfort. This ponytailed princess proves laughing gas is the fuel of life.
on November 28, 2015
Not what I expected; I found it difficult to read and enjoy.