Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 11, 2001
Le Petit Prince, published more than half a century ago, endures into the twenty-first century as a beautifully written children's novel and a powerful philosophic work that speaks volumes about love and friendship. Written by Antoine de Saint-Exupery during World War II, Le Petit Prince was published as a children's story, but soon became recognized the world over as a profound introspective statement. By using the novel as a type of allegory, Saint-Exupery was able to write a commentary on life as he had lived it. The novel takes readers on a fantastic journey through the universe that, by the end, will have even the most hardened soul in tears.
The novel, although simply written, is not simple in style or in taste. Saint-Exupery uses powerful metaphors, similes, and analogies to address the very abstract themes of love and friendship. By personifying many of the personality traits that make up a true friend, Saint-Exupery makes these complicated issues so simple that even a child could understand. This is, of course, what Saint-Exupery had in mind all along.
I loved Le Petit Prince and have read many of my favorites parts to members of my family and just about anyone else who will listen. That is the magic of this novel. Beautifully written and illustrated, it will have you coming back to relive the adventures of the little prince time and time again. Through the eyes of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, this often-troubling world becomes a universe filled with the possibilities of true friendship and lasting love.
on May 5, 2003
This book is my all time favourite , a book which I had picked up and put down several times in the past. My mother read it to me , I read it to my children and even for myself.
Saint Exupery's classic tale can be read on many levels and enjoyed by readers of any age. He tells the story of being stranded in the desert and meeting a tiny blond boy. This Little Prince proceeds to tell of his travels from planet to planet until he arrived on Earth and of what he has learned along the way. The most important thing he reveals is a secret that was taught him by a fox that he tamed.
I saw what has kept this fable popular for so many years. I liked the characters and the "lessons." I was especially fond of the tippler and the businessman, and the poignant description of "taming." And, of course, there is the oft-quoted, "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Toward the end I began to feel that I was reading the New Testament but that is perhaps what will keep the fable in my consciousness: that and the marvelous pictures which I still find the best part of the book!
on April 30, 2004
I read this book a year ago with my French 4 Advanced Placement class. It is still sitting on the head of my bed, because I have read it multiple times and refer to it often. I have never been more inspired, nor more changed, by any one novel. The lessons that are meant to help children grow into admirable adults can teach us adults so much more. I looked at everything differently once I finished reading this book. I learned so many invaluable lessons that I will carry with me forever. I am absolutely sure that I will read this to my children someday. The lessons I learned, from not judging someone by what they look like to getting my priorities straight, have forever changed the way I treat people and the way I live. I believe I am more mature now because of the impact this book had on me.
on September 1, 2001
When I first read this book when I was a senior in high school and read it for my French class, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this book. I'd heard so much about it. After reading it I can say that I love this book so much, no wonder Le Petit Prince is on some French currency! I've read this book in English and French, and I'd have to say that the French is sooo much better if you know French. It's not all that difficult to understand if you are at a beginning level. This is a great book and is worth every penny in both languages!
on March 19, 2004
I have read TPP in Spanish, as a child; in English and now in French. The French is 100 times better than any translation. If you have been raised in a romance language, you know that the charm and sonority of French or Spanish is completely lost, even in a good translation. If you have read TPP in translation before, read it in French. It is easy to understand and a great book for those, like me, who want to develop reading skills.
Regarding the story, it is indisputable that TPP is a classic full of wisdom.
on December 15, 2003
This books is simply one of the most wonderful stories ever written. On its face it may be a children's book, but there is a strong message for adults regarding what is important in life and keeping one's priorities straight. In terms of writing quality, the French version is on a whole other level relative to the English version. Even if you only speak a little French, being able to read this book is the perfect reason to learn more. Je suis certain que vous aimerez ce livre. Bonne chance.
on January 8, 2003
Wonderful! Deeply moving and VERY French in its philosophy, but cultureless and timeless in its application. French edition is the best... naturally. (Every book seems better to me in its original language.)
on March 19, 1999
I do not read a lot of books. I have only read what was assigned to me throughout school and the occasional NY Times bestseller. A friend of mine gave me this book as a gift one day, she said I would enjoy it. She was right - I loved it. I didn't read it right away, but when I did I couldn't put it down. I am not an emotional person, or at least I never thought of myself as one, but this book made me look at myself and it broke my heart. I related with the character of the pilot and I felt as though the Little Prince was talking to me. The book helped me realize that I had forgotten a lot of things since childhood, like the meaning of friendship. The book also reminded me of what love really is. It made me realize what "grown-ups" really are, children who lost their innocence. The greatest thing about the book is that it is universal. It's message is simple: "love has no prejuducies, never dies and always forgives." It is a children's story but it is something all adults should read. There are few books that can do what this "children's story" can do. It will make you laugh, break your heart and make you think about what really is important in your life.
- Jeff
on September 2, 2003
I was required to read this book last year for my high school french class. At first I thought the story was really abstract and weird, but then I got into the story. I think another person who posted about this book went to my school because my teacher's name was Coop too. I think all French students should read this book a few times because it really is quite good.
on April 15, 2000
I have the French copy of "Le Petit Prince" and have been using it to improve my vocabulary. I was disappointed to find out after receiving this audio tape that it is only 40 minutes long, and thus quite a bit of the text is cut out. Roughly the original text is 15,000 words and the transcription (included with the tape) is under 6,000 words. I understand that the use of different voices for different characters can replace some descriptive phrases, but entire dialogs are missing, and some are changed. For example, when the Prince first asks for the drawing of a sheep, the pilot draws a picture of an elephant inside a boa constrictor (which had baffled his parents when he was young) and the Prince immediately recognizes it. This was one of the funniest parts, but it is left out.
The voices are fine, sometimes a bit fast for a beginner, and the music is nice. If anyone knows of a full-length version where the French speaker is very clear and not too fast, I'd love to hear about it -