on May 1, 2016
After foolishly getting rid of all my controllers, I was struck with the desire to play a few games that absolutely aren't playable without one. I considered a few options before going for the reasonably priced and capable seeming Logitech F710. It's very similar to the old Cordless Rumblepad 2, which I owned and very much liked, but with a few key differences.

The build quality and overall feel is about the same. The shape is nearly identical. It's similar to a DualShock, but I find the Logitech variation more comfortable mostly because of the larger size. For those with smaller hands, it may not be the best controller. I still find the 360 controller more comfortable, but the Logitechs are my second favourite.

The layout is almost the same, with the labelling of the buttons the only immediately obvious change from older controllers. It's not the only one, however. The sticks now have round restrictors (like a console controller) instead of square ones (like an old PC gamepad). This is actually a good thing, since any console or 360-controller-compatible game expects this. The bottom shoulder buttons have been replace with very stiff analog triggers. They're okay for quickly hammering but not comfortable to hold down for long periods of time. The D-pad is the same as before- it's serviceable, but not fantastic.

The F710 can act as an XInput or DirectInput controller. The former mode is compatible with games that expect an XBOX 360 controller (and perhaps an XBOX One controller?), the latter is for legacy games. So far I haven't used the DirectInput mode, only the XInput mode.

The wireless on this controller is fairly reliable, but it does have glitches occasionally. It's okay for casual gaming, but this is definitely not a competition controller. Unlike the huge transceiver on a cable the Rumblepad had, the F710 uses a nano receiver similar to (but not compatible with) the Unifying one.

It uses 2 AA batteries. The old Cordless Rumblepad could last for months on one set, but I haven't had the chance to evaluate this one.

Overall, it's a decent controller, and a pretty good value, but it's far from perfect and serious players may wish to looke elsewhere.
on July 11, 2016
To preface, I've had this for 3 years now. It worked only slightly better then than now.

It works okay, usually. It was cheaper than an Xbox 360 controller, but I wish I had gone with the more expensive option. The Dpad is quite loose. Compared to a Nintendo Dpad, the gold standard, it's awful. The triggers are too stiff. Vibration is spotty. The analog sticks are a bit sloppy. The trigger buttons are too clicky. The middle button seems to have stopped working: the drivers on Windows 10 seem to no longer support it (it seemingly still works on Windows 8).

It's nice that it's wireless, except half the time there's either noticeable input lag, or it cuts out. And this is with me at my desk, with it plugged in the front. I can't plug it in the back at all or it completely drops signal.

The software is awful. One of the main reasons I bought this was that you could switch between xinput and directinput, but it seems that directinput NEVER works, and xinput is sometimes finicky. Logitech's software looks like a team of monkeys made it. An Xbox controller + JoyToKey would be much better.

One positive is that it's VERY comfortable to hold in the hand, and the ABXY buttons work fine, but that's honestly the best thing I can say about it. Also the replaceable batteries are nice, they last a long time. I also liked that it had the control sticks PlayStation style, instead of misaligned like the Xbox. But it's rare that I play a twin-stick shooter, so it hardly ever matters, and the trade-off isn't worth it.

Though it has lasted me for 3 years, I hope it dies soon so can buy a new Xbox one or PS4 controller.
on July 17, 2016
Technically, it works with almost all the games I tried it with (on a Windows 10 OS). After an OS update, I have to unplug and re-plug the USB transmitter to get the controller working again, but other than, it technically works well.

What I like the most is the D-Pad. It is much better than the ones on the other controller I have (XBox 360, XBox One, PS4). However, the left and right trigger are very hard compared to all the other controllers. The left and right stick are precise but there is an annoying dead zone which make playing certain games harder (like Dead Space). The controller does not fit very well in my hand compared to the others. In fact, it seems Logitech did not change their design for a long time, while Microsoft and Sony redesign their controller to avoid fatigue and other problem that may arise for playing with their controller for a long period of time. Because of that, I cannot recommend the Gamepad F710.
on May 2, 2016
I'm a PC Gamer and as such my control scheme of choice will always be keyboard and mouse. That said I do my gaming on a couch in front of a flat screen so sometimes you just want a simple hands free controller. I was using a wired XBox 360 controller for a while but found the D-Pad beyond useless for the games where I really need to use a controller (ex. Rogue Legacy).

I've been gaming for about 32 years and my rule of thumb was anything other than a 1st party controller is garbage. I'm looking at you Madcatz, Pelican, et al. This controller has changed my mind. It's like an XBox controller and a Playstation controller had sex and this was their kid. The analog sticks are not as snappy as an XBox controller, nor are they as sloppy as a Playstation controller. I'd say they're closer to the Playstation. You do get use to them pretty quickly though. The D-pad is brilliant, it is the best D-pad I've used since the SNES days. Seriously if you want to pogo jump an enemy 10 times in a row in Rogue Legacy or Shovel Knight, this is the controller for you.

The quality of the controller is obvious as soon as you put it in your hands, it is solid and well built. The triggers feel odd compared to an XBox 360/One controller but after a little adjustment they're good. The rumble is present but not obnoxious and the wifi connectivity is pretty good. I did have drop-out issues at about 3.5M away from the PC but I just used the extension cable and that fixed it up. I'm still using the batteries it came with and the ability to hide the usb dongle inside the controller is just genius.

Honestly I love this thing and for the price I paid it's a silly deal. If you have trouble getting it set up just make Windows identify it as an XBox 360 Controller and it's smooth sailing. Buy it now!
on May 3, 2016
Don't buy this controller. Logitech used to be known for excellent hardware, but they seriously dropped the ball on this one. I bought this controller after my cordless rumblepad 2 kicked the bucket, but this controller has been a serious disappointment. It CONSISTENTLY disconnects to the point that you may want to smash it with a hammer. Even after moving away/disabling any near by access points to rule out interference, the connectivity issues are still there, so it's an inherent problem with the controller hardware. Until logitech gets their act together and starts releasing reliable controller hardware, look elsewhere if you want to maintain your sanity while playing games.
on April 24, 2016
Awesome controller. Works great for my emulators. The only thing i dont like is the trigger buttons are kind of a weird shape and they are very stiff (i find it uncomfortable for 1st person shooters) but the keyboard and mouse are better for those! Great product
on March 18, 2012
Very impressed with this Gamepad for the PC. Easy to install detected right away and most games automatically switch controls to the gamepad once you hit a button on it. Also like how you can switch between the pad and the analog stick on the fly with mode button. Very happy with my purchase only bad thing I could say about it is a little on the heavy side but would not stop me from buying again. Can never go wrong with LOgitech and they proved it again with this wireless gem.
on September 16, 2013
Controller works great. Perfect for a number of PC games. Also tried it on my Nexus 7, and it worked out well there too. The buttons are a little loud.
on March 23, 2016
Overall this is a great gamepad but the wireless connection could be better.

The main flaw about the F710 is that its connection cuts out occationally. It doesn't happen enough for me to withhold buying it but it happens enough during gaming that it can be quite annoying. The cut outs seem strongly related to receiver positioning, so you need to make use of the usb extension cables that come with the product. If you can live with wires I would suggest the wired F310 over the F710's connection problems.

All that said, the product is great. It feels good in your hands even during long game sessions, though is a little bit on the small side. The overall shape is closer to the unergonomic PS1/Dual shock 2 controller versus the newer controller shapes on the market but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The price point is really great for what you get. Battery life is fantastic; you don't need to worry about it. The Xbox driver/custom setting switch is a great feature. You can map your own controls or use the xbox drivers whenever you need either one.

Maybe there is a fix for these issues out there but I haven't found it yet.
on May 27, 2015
I had a hard time deciding the star rating for this controller. In the end I gave it a 3.

The F710 is a great remote (4-5 stars) IF you can get it to work with your system. I initially had a hard time getting the drivers to work with Windows 8.1, just look at the Logitech forums and you'll see it's a major problem. After numerous attempts, I had to install the Xbox 360 Wired drivers for it to be recognized and actually stay installed after rebooting my PC.

The other negative is the wireless connection. Sometimes it drops the signal and I lose control for a brief moment. The remedy was pretty much using the included USB extender cable and making sure it wasn't close to any other 2.4ghz signals.

Also, would be good if Logitech made this part of their unifying USB dongle to reduce USB port usage.

On the positive side, it's got a good feel and weight to it. I also prefer the Playstation controller's shape vs the Xbox. I've had no problems using the Xbox input in game.

So in the end, it's a great controller provided you can get it working.