The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren Paperback – Aug 31 2000
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“The Opies, professors of literature and essentially folklorists, did something path-breaking: they observed children and took their play seriously…The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren reminds us that children are their own beings who create and navigate complicated social worlds, and the way they do so is worthy of respect and understanding.” —Hilary Levey Friedman, Brain, Child Magazine
About the Author
About the Authors:
Iona and the late Peter Opie wrote numerous books about children, including Children's Games in Street and Playground, The Singing Game, and A Nursery Companion.
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
THE scraps of lore which children learn from each other are at once more real, more immediately serviceable, and more vastly entertaining to them than anything which they learn from grown-ups. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Children's Literature Guides
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Children's Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Folklore & Mythology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Children
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture