Chick Flick Alert! "Den skaldede frisør" (English captions) is a Danish film about a hairdresser who has been fighting breast cancer. After a partial mastectomy and chemo, she gets the all-clear, but comes home only to discover her husband having a fling with a co-worker. Problem is, next week they are flying from Denmark to Italy for their daughter's wedding. Of course Dean Martin's "That's Amore" underscores the opening credits.
Writer Suzanne Bier ("After the Wedding" - terrific by the way!) directed this award-winning romance that features:
* Trine Dyrholm ("The Royal Affair") is Ida, the bald hairdresser (nice wig though) who has to confront one serious upset after another. She's the mother of the bride.
* Pierce Brosnan ("The Ghost Writer") is Philip, a highly successful international trader of fresh fruits and vegetables. It's his Italian villa where the wedding party convenes. He's the widowed father of the groom.
* Sebastian Jessen ("Almost Perfect") is Patrick, the groom...but he's starting to wonder....
* Molly Blixt Egelind ("Rebounce") is Astrid, the bride. The groom's wondering is making her start to wonder...
* Paprika Steen ("Keep the Lights On") is Benedikte, the worst sister-in-law EVER!
Things get off to a bad start when the mother of the bride backs her car into the father of the groom's car at the airport in Copenhagen. Then they are on the same flight but HER luggage gets lost. Finally, her wandering husband brings along his new sweetheart to Italy because she missed her flight back to Denmark. (She introduces herself as his "fiancée.")
I'll bet you have it all figured out, don't you? Well, you don't. I love it when things become unpredictable, and they do! Expect no sweaty bodies, gunshots, vehicular mayhem or blowie uppie stuff. In fact the biggest villain is that philandering husband.
BTW, Brosnan just gets more appealing as the years go by. He's far better now than when he was 'Bond'ing with the world. Yum! Amazon will notify me when the DVD is available.