A complete configuration manual for MPLS, MPLS VPNs, MPLS TE, QoS, Any Transport over MPLS (AToM), and VPLS
- Understand the crucial Cisco commands for various MPLS scenarios
- Understand fundamentals of MPLS operation and learn to configure basic MPLS in Frame Relay and ATM-based environments
- Master fundamentals of MPLS VPN operation including Multiprotocol BGP (MBGP) operation, VPNv4 route exchange, and basic MPLS VPN configuration in the provider network
- Understand and configure various PE-CE routing protocols in MPLS VPN networks
- Understand MPLS VPN provisioning in an Inter-provider VPN (Inter-AS) and Carrier Supporting Carrier (CSC) environment
- Learn MPLS TE and its advanced features
- Examine AToM with configuration examples for like-to-like and any-to-any L2 VPN implementations and VPLS components and operation, VPLS configuration and verification, and VPLS topologies
- Learn about MPLS QoS, including configuration and implementation of uniform and short pipe modes
MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software is a complete and detailed resource to the configuration of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) networks and associated features. Through its practical, hands-on approach, you’ll become familiar with MPLS technologies and their configurations using Cisco IOS® Software.
MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software covers basic-to-advanced MPLS concepts and configuration. Beyond its emphasis on MPLS, you’ll learn about applications and deployments associated with MPLS, such as traffic engineering (TE), Layer 2 virtual private networks (VPN), and Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS). You’ll receive practical guidance and deployment scenarios that can be enhanced by re-creation of the setups and configurations demonstrated within this book.
You’ll move quickly from a brief overview of MPLS technology and basic MPLS configuration on Cisco® routers to more advanced topics. Several chapters provide instruction on VPN connectivity options, including implementing Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) in MPLS VPNs. You’ll receive configuration guidelines for advanced MPLS implementations such as MPLS TE, quality of service (QoS), and extranet VPNs. You’ll learn about implementation of Layer 2 VPNs versus Layer 3 VPNs with Cisco Any Transport over MPLS (AToM). And you’ll see demonstrations of implementing VPLS on Cisco routers complete with the configurations and platform support.
“I highly recommend MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software as required reading for those in search of practical guidance of the technology and nuances of configuring MPLS for next-generation networks for voice, video, data, and application service offerings across a wide variety of deployment scenarios.”
—Carlos Dominguez, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Service Provider Operations, Cisco Systems®
This book is part of the Networking Technology Series from Cisco Press®, which offers networking professionals valuable information for constructing efficient networks, understanding new technologies, and building successful careers.