Oh, where to even begin praising MST3K's deliriously funny treatment of "Incredibly Strange Creatures"? This was one of my very favorite episodes from Season 8, and I'm glad it's out on DVD. Let's start with their riffing during the movie's many, many musical numbers. MiSTies will probably remember "Shick Out of Shape," but there's oh so much more. I think my favorite scene in the entire episode is the one in which the ultra-white, ultra-bland bland folk singer comes out and starts strumming this very monotonous and tame folk song called "How Do I Stand With Your Heart?" and Mike and the 'bots sing lyrics to other songs over him, like: "Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine!" and "My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hon." But all songs are great, as are the dance numbers. ("They're like the Blue Angels of dance!") And then there's the "Open Wagon, Roll On!" country song which Mike claims was digitally recorded then erased then re-recorded on a dictophone.
Other great things in this episode:
* "It wouldn't be Jerry!" "And that's a good thing?"
* ORTEGA! - Not just his appearances in the movie, but on the bridge of the SOL, too, when Crow has hired him to cater the movie break despite Mike's objections. ("He's ashing in the quail eggs!")
* "...And he misses the ocean!"
* The WALK-A-TON skit ("Hi, everyone! Let's pitch in 'n' get crackin'...." - still a favorite of mine!)
* "What do you think we came here for, to eat?" - All the riffing about Atlas King's character.
* "Madison!" - the whole portrayal of wimpy Madison as a would-be action hero
* "You know what I'm lookin' at? That EXIT sign!"
* "She saves her washerwoman pay to go to strip shows."
I could go on and on quoting lines from this episode. I haven't even gotten to the miserably lame emcee at the Hungry Mouth ("I've been asked to explain the Iron and Steel joke") or the carny who can wash dishes with his hat. If you think this is a mediocre or just-okay episode, I'd all but beg you to back and give it another look. You're missing out on something really funny.