- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Making Things Talk: Using Sensors, Networks, and Arduino to see, hear, and feel your world Paperback – Sep 29 2011
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
About the Author
Tom Igoe teaches courses in physical computing and networking, exploring ways to allow digital technologies to sense and respond to a wider range of human physical expression. He has a background in theatre, and his work centers on physical interaction related to live performance and public space. He is a co-author of the book Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers, which has been adopted by numerous digital art and design programs around the world. Projects include a series of networked banquet table centerpieces and musical instruments; an email clock; and a series of interactive dioramas, created in collaboration with M.R. Petit. He has consulted for The American Museum of the Moving Image, EAR Studio, Diller + Scofidio Architects, Eos Orchestra, and others.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This edition has been thoroughly updated to include (for example) remote sensing of Galvanic Skin Response (GSR), extensive interconnection with WIFI; Web Services Software and Data Acquisition and use of Android phone-based Processing language data display. It has also been revised and augmented to reflect many new form factors of the Arduino Microconttroller and several Open Source Hardware projects. Extensive (illustrated indexes of tools and devices, as well as contacts with suppliers and manufacturers addresses, phone contacts and web sites. There is also an extensive chapter/appendix on the telecommunication protocols which make possible Web Services and communication with Networked Objects.
The project-oriented approach of this book, as well as the extensive illustrations and commented software listing make it an excellent addition to other works about the Arduino Microcontroller family.
--Ira Laefsky, MSE/MBA HCI Researcher formerly on the Senior IT Consulting Staff of Arthur D. Little, Inc. and Digital Equipment Corporation.
I must agree with another reviewer that I don't favor the choice of Processing for the laptop applications: instead, I had liked to see Python too, and I had liked the author to show how to build a LAMP server on our own computer.
Bottom line: this book is superb and I highly recommend it.
From the moment I opened this book I started learning stuff, new stuff, great ideas.
In my dotage, I have become interested in robots and 3d printers (insert star trek reference here) and this book lays out information in easy to understand bits. It does help if you have had some programing experience but is not necessary as the writer explains bit by bit, in step by step process how the languages you use to program microcomputers work and how to get things talking to each other both hardware and software. I highly recommend this book to anyone trying to break into microcomputers or build the internet of things. Its a very well written and well done book.
As one other reviewer said - you can't judge this book by its cover (toy monkeys?...I guess I don't have much of a sense of humor but I am glad I bought the book).
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Digital Audio, Photography & Video > Digital Audio
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Internet & Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Microprocessors & System Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Computer Technology > Robotics & Automation
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Energy > Electric
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Automation
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Control Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages