Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on January 11, 2010
When my partner and I bought this book, we were starting our first batch of wine from the fruit trees on our new property. We hoped that this book would help us explore our options beyond just the grape. And that it did! This book has a wonderful selection of recipes from fruit, veggies, and even herbs. We learned about what meads and melomels were, and we were certainly inspired by the unique combinations offered in the book. My personal favorites:
-strawberry rubarb wine
-tomato wine
-potato wine
-lemon-thyme metheglin
-sack mead

However, I would not recommend this book to a beginner. While the pages are laid our clear and simple, the instructions were not detailed enough for my partner and I. With the help of another book we were able to use recipes in this book to have success in wine making, but I found this book was not instructional enough for all our needs and questions.

Another strange aspect of the book was that all the recipes are for 3.8 L "jugs" rather than the typical 19 to 57 L carboy. We ended up doing a lot of math with this book, because we had to convert all the measurements to the standard wine making equipment we had purchased.

While I think this book will be a great tool for the future as we learn more about wine making, I would not suggest it for beginners. BUT, if you're experienced and eager to experiment, this book is for you!
on April 18, 2000
From the novice vinter to a more experienced hand, this book is one of the better ones I have seen. At the start, the author describes and explains the homewine-making process, the equiptment necessary, the "lingo", and gives a desent time-line for completion. The recipies are usually simple and are for one-gallon batches. Some are a little weird, but it does say "unusual" in the title. A definate recommendation for anyone who is avidly homebrewing wine or mead.
on May 13, 2004
Very Very little in this boon on the how-to of wine making but if you're an experienced wine maker and you're looking for a recipe book for mead and wine this is the one to get. Tons of stuff.
on July 27, 2015
Pretty good starter book. Lots of interesting ideas. Wish there were more herbal recipes. Most ingredients aren't really "wild" but the recipes are easy to follow and wine made out of very unexpected ingredients.

The only thing I wish they had more info on was alternatives to chemicals used in their recipes in the wine/mead making process.
on April 20, 2013
Good book with lots of helpful tips on how to make wines/meads, made me more confident in trying for the first time.