- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.ca price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Managerial Decision Modeling with Spreadsheets and Student CD Package (2nd Edition) Hardcover – Feb 2 2006
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Prentice Hall Decision Science has a long history of publishing market-defining, leading- edge textbooks. This proud tradition continues with this exciting new edition of Balakrishnan/Render/Stair’s Managerial Decision Modeling with Spreadsheets, 2nd Edition. In this spreadsheet modeling text the authors first discuss the algebraic model so that the student can understand the logic and rationale behind the decision model. The spreadsheet implementation then closely follows the algebraic model for ease of understanding.
Balakrishnan, Render and Stair continue to set the standard with:
- Increased Quantity and Range of End-of-Chapter Exercises and Problems — Many of these exercises and problems include multi-part questions, providing a richer pool of questions from which to select, and making them better suited to a computer-based solution environment.
- Inclusion of Several New Decision Models — Now includes coverage of new decision models such as make-buy problems and allocation problems (in Linear Programming), min-max and max-min problems (in Network Models), set covering problems (in Binary Integer Programming), and additive decomposition problems (in Forecasting).
- Expanded discussions in the following topical areas —Simulation, Regression, LP Formulation, Integer and Nonlinear Programming, and Utility Theory.
More information about this text and our entire list can be found on the web at www.prenhall.com/decisionscience.
Bookstores: To order this text, please use this isbn 013-226806-X.
Please contact your PH Rep for more packaging information or visit us on the web at www.prenhall.com/decisionscience
Students: Additional resources to enhance your understanding of the text material may be found on the text website at www.prenhall.com/balakrishnan.
About the Author
Nagraj (Raju) Balakrishnan is Professor and Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Management at Clemson University. He holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Madras (India) and the University of Kentucky respectively, and a Ph.D. in Management from Purdue University. He previously taught at Tulane University.
Dr. Balakrishnan teaches courses in spreadsheet-based Decision Modeling, Business Statistics, Production and Operations Management, and Project Management. He has won several awards for teaching excellence both at Clemson and at Tulane. At Clemson, these include the MBA Professor of the Year award and the College of Business Graduate Teaching Excellence award (twice). He has also taught in Tulane University’s Executive MBA program.
Dr. Balakrishnan’s current research focuses on production scheduling, capacity allocation models, and problems related to configurations of supply chains. His articles have been published in leading academic journals such as Decision Sciences, Production and Operations Management, European Journal of Operational Research, Naval Research Logistics, IIE Transactions, Networks, and Computers & Operations Research. He serves as a Senior Departmental Editor of Production and Operations Management, Online Editor for the Production and Operations Management Society, and is the recipient of several awards for his research publications including Best Paper awards from the Decision Sciences Institute and the Institute of Industrial Engineers, the Clemson Department of Management Award for Scholarly Achievement, and the Clemson Board of Trustees Award for Faculty Excellence.
Dr. Balakrishnan is very active in writing proposals and has authored or co-authored successful grant proposals totaling over $400,000 from the National Science Foundation and other funding agencies. Several of these have been in collaboration with faculty from the College of Engineering and Sciences at Clemson University.
Dr. Balakrishnan lives in Clemson, SC with his wife Meena, son Nitin, and daughter Nandita. He enjoys traveling and Indian light music, and is an avid racquetball player.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Surprisingly, unlike most textbooks, you can actually use this book in the real world. For example, a lot of business plan books and articles casually mention business forecasting. Unfortunately, the large majority of them barely mention any details on how to construct them. Well this book covers it in depth. As for other applications with the use of MS Excel, the book will show you the optimal amount of money you should put down into a select number of investments, how to perform project scheduling (with out MS Project), and the list goes on....
This is a good book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Statistics
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Statistics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management