- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Managing the Body: Beauty, Health, and Fitness in Britain 1880-1939 Hardcover – Nov 7 2010
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"A fascinating and richly illustrated history of discourses surrounding the making of British bodies during that time...This book will undoubtedly become a major reference point for students of the history of the body and the history of medicine more generally." --American Historical Quarterly
About the Author
Ina Zweiniger-Bargielowska is a Professor of Modern British History at the University of Illinois, Chicago. She is author of Austerity in Britain: Rationing, Controls, and Consumption, 1939-1955 (OUP, 2000), winner of the 2001 British Council Prize, North American Conference on British Studies. Her other publications include an edited collection, Women in Twentieth Century Britain (Pearson Education, 2001), '"The Culture of the Abdomen": Obesity and Reducing in Britain, c.1900-1939', Journal of British Studies (2005), and 'Building a British Superman: Physical Culture in Interwar Britain', Journal of Contemporary History (2006).
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Exercise & Fitness
- Books > History > Europe > England > 19th Century
- Books > History > Europe > England > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics