The Marriage of Figaro Paperback – Sep 1 1979
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Nobody could make voices and instruments work so perfectly together as Mozart, and it's fascinating to read through a full orchestral score to see how he did it. Like all of Dover's scores, this one is a reprint of another publishing house's work. This particular house, C.F. Peters of Leipzig, gives the text in the original Italian -- and in a German translation from 1941 that's still sung in Germany and Austria today.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This version was completed by Georg Schünemann in Berlin in 1941! He cited the numerous "original" versions he used as references, even to the point of acknowledging that the sole copy of a particular printing was in Washington, and, sadly, not available to him at the time. He also supplies several pages of notes, identifying things that were "missing" from various versions or explaining which version he chose for a particular passage and why. As a study guide, for students of Mozart, students of opera, or students of orchestration this is an outstanding book, well made and certain to last a long time. It is unlikely anyone will produce anything "better."
For serious students it provides a good look at what Mozart wrote, and allows easy comparisons with versions produced today where some directors seem to feel that they can make "changes" and bill them as "improvements." In my opinion, Mozart knew exactly what he was doing, and "improvements" are seldom as good as the original...usually much worst. HINT: To a certain unconventional director: There's no silent angel in Mozart's work...for a good reason!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Composers > Mozart
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Ballet & Dance
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Opera
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Historical Period > Classical
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Opera
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Composition