I had 4 key criteria for the cover I wanted and meeting them proved to be more difficult than I thought. In order, I wanted:
1) Protection - from drops, scratches, etc
2) Thin and Light - the whole purpose of the iPad is portability. I didn't want something heavy or bulky
3) Functionality - Has Smart Cover functionality and has the ability to act as a stand for viewing and a pad for typing
4) Appearance - mainly color and texture
After spending hours searching through Amazon, reading reviews and going to brick & mortar stores, I finally landed on this case. I ended up returning up and purchasing the Colorspill2. I also considered the Apple Smart Cover with a separate piece to protect that back, but that was going to run at least $55, so I figured I'd give this cover a shot first. Here's what I think for each of my criteria points:
1. Protection - this is where the MarWare felt to me like it fell short. As the video reviewer stated, it just doesn't feel like it would offer the protection necessary if I dropped my iPad, even from a foot or two. Now, it might be well engineered and would offer the protection, but without some proven claims by the company, I just didn't feel comfortable with this cover. Plus, the cover didn't stay closed AT ALL. The Apple Smart Cover (ASC) stays closed when you move the iPad around. The Marware cover just flopped off, reducing protection.
2. Thin and light - Here is where all the leather (and pleather) cases that would fit the other three criteria didn't seem to measure up - by definition leather is pretty thick if it is going to protect well. This seemed to be one of the hardest criteria to fulfill and still be protective. This case is SUPER thin and light. If it offered more protection or Marware made some kind of guarantee, I would have kept it.
3. Functionality - Smart Cover functionality works well. Although cover does flop away if ipad is turned upside down, turning it on. Works well as a stand, and even has a setting for angled typing, where the ipad is almost flat, but the top is elevated a little bit to facilitate typing
4. Appearance - Looks great. Very professional color. Super thin and sleek.
I really wanted to like this cover and keep it, but I just wasn't confident in the level of protection offered. If I felt better about that and the cover were stayed on better, this is easily a 5 star case that I would have kept and raved about.