- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Mastering Financial Calculations: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Mathematics of Financial Market Instruments Paperback – Dec 15 1997
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Success in todays sophisticated financial markets increasingly depends on a firm understanding of key financial concepts and mathematical techniques. This book explains them in a clear and comprehensive way for a wide audience.
Mastering Financial Calculations starts by introducing the fundamentals of financial market arithmetic, including the core concepts of discounting, net present value, effective yields and cashflow analysis and then shows you step-by-step how to master the essential calculations and financial techniques for using the full range of products in the markets. The links between the different instruments and the resulting arbitrage opportunities are fully explored, together with the practical difficulties.
Making use of many worked examples and practical exercises, the book goes on to explain concepts such as forward pricing, duration analysis, the different approaches to bond yield calculations, zero-coupon and yield curve analysis, swap valuation and option pricing in a clear and accessible way, at each stage illustrating their application using a programmable calculator.
Whether you are a trader, fund manager, corporate treasurer, programmer, accountant, risk manager or market student, this book will give you the ability to manipulate and apply the relevant techniques with speed and confidence in your marketplace.
About the Author
Robert Steiner is Managing Director of Markets International, Ltd., an independent company specializing in international financial training, and in consulting on foreign exchange with finance directors and treasurers of international companies. He is also author of Mastering Repo Markets.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
This book is a concise and informative guide to the concepts and mechanics (maths) and application of financial instruments.
The author has managed to cover the wide area of financial instruments and business maths in the most concise and informative manner possible.
The added bonus of this book is that it could have been "unintentionally" written as a companion with HP financial calculator-the HP12c and the HP19BII.
As a new owner of the HP12c, I have found this book to be an excellent and indispensible guide and workbook.
Working through the examples in the book with my HP12c has helped me familarise with the RPN mode/logic of performing financial maths at the same time as I apply my understanding of the underlying concepts to the exercise questions and illustrative examples.
I am impressed that the author had even included detailed key strokes of both the HP 12c and 19BII calculators with each illustrated examples and answers to practice questions as well! Although there is afew minor errors but the overall effort is great efforts and attention to details.
This book is really true to its name, I would certainly recommend Mr Steiner's excellent work and effort to anyone who needs a refresher or an introductory course into financial instruments for both work and study.
Judging by the author's excellent effort, it would be difficult for the author himself to improve on his own work unless there are major new developments in the subject matter or if the author wishes to cover more complex and specialist areas.
A five star+ effort in my humble opinion.
Most recent customer reviews
If you work in the financial world and more especially in the IT department, you'll LOVE this book: clear, concise, lots of examples!Published on April 18 2000 by Amazon Customer
The author found an easy and interesting way to explain the complexity of mathematics applied to financial market!! Everyone should have it!!!!Published on Aug. 12 1998 by email@example.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Statistics
- Books > Business & Investing > Finance > Corporate Finance
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Accounting
- Books > Business & Investing > Investing
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Accounting
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Statistics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Finance > Corporate Finance
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Industries & Professions > Accounting
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Accounting
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Economics
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Finance
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Investments & Securities