- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Mastering Public Speaking (7th Edition) Paperback – Jan 28 2009
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Key features within this edition include:
- Strong coverage of ethics throughout:
- The first public speaking book to include a full chapter on ethics (Ch. 2), the new edition continues to stress to readers the importance of being ethical speakers and listeners.
- “Ethical Decisions” boxes present mini-cases in which readers must choose between controversial courses of action. Thought-provoking questions follow each scenario, providing springboards for engaging classroom debates.
- In-chapter discussions of ethical issues throughout the book stress to readers how ethics is a part of the entire public speaking process.
- Emphasis on speech criticism:
- Step-by-step instruction on speech criticism (Chapter 4) includes discussion of reacting to criticism that shows readers how to use feedback constructively.
- Critiquing guidelines printed in the back of the book serve as a reference tool.
- An annotated speech critique is included in Chapter 4, offering an early example (with commentary from the authors) to help improve a reader’s written and oral critiquing.
- Annotated speeches appear in Chapters 15, 17, and 18, and illustrate how four readers constructed their informative, persuasive, and special occasion speeches.
- Emphasis on critical thinking:
- In-text discussions of specific critical thinking skills are incorporated throughout the text, appearing early in the chapters to reinforce how critical thinking relates to each topic at hand.
- Emphasis on technology:
- The Seventh Edition provides a current guide to research using databases, academic search engines, and Internet sources, with a strong emphasis on how to evaluate Internet sites.
- “Exploring Online” boxes throughout the book emphasize the wealth of useful information on the Internet.
- Two full chapters on persuasion highlight persuasive theory, types of argument, and a discussion of logical fallacies.
- “Speaking with Confidence” boxes feature speaker excerpts throughout the country explaining how Mastering Public Speaking helped them to build their confidence throughout the stages of the public speaking process.
- Sample speeches represent a diversity of speakers and occasions: student and professional speakers; classroom and contest student speeches; speeches by two-year, four-year, and graduate school readers; informative, persuasive, and special occasion speeches (Ch. 15, 17, 18 & Appendix).
- Updated examples reflect greater cultural diversity and changes in technology.
- “Theory into Practice” features in every chapter help readers understand and apply concepts and strategies of public communication to enhance their speaking competence.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Keep watching the skies!