- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
McQuail?s Mass Communication Theory Paperback – Mar 12 2010
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Over successive editions, Denis McQuail has pulled off the trick of expanding the scope of his analysis and integrating new research in a rapidly changing field. Hats off to him once again for making such enormous amounts of material so user-friendly Philip Schlesinger University of Glasgow Denis McQuail's Mass Communication Theory is not just a seminal text in the study of media and society - it is a benchmark for understanding and appreciating the long and winding road people and their media have taken to get us here. Denis McQuail offers the best roadmap available to navigate our times, a roadmap that stands the test of time Mark Deuze Indiana University and Leiden University This is a unique work tested by time and generations of students around the world - North, South, East and West Kaarle Nordenstreng University of Tampere
About the Author
Denis McQuail is emeritus professor of communication at the University of Amsterdam and visiting professor in the Department of Politics, University of Southampton. His books include Audience Analysis (1997) and McQuail's Mass Communication Theory (5th ed. 2005), a comprehensive introduction to the field that takes full account of new technologies and globalization issues. His most recent edited collection is Communication Theory and Research (2006), which presents outstanding studies in communications research published during the last decade. The selections are drawn from the European Journal of Communication, a leading international journal, founded by McQuail, Peter Golding and Els De Bens.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
With the deep understanding of the media theories in the book, I bet you could enrich your life and prepare for the better life ahead.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is well organized and is more or less chronological, starting with the rise of mass communication and taking readers through developments until today. At the end of each chapter McQuail lists suggestions for further reading, including a separate section of online resources. It was a great help to me as I planned a management course focused on using global media for advocating social change.
As far as quibbles about McQuail's rather dry writing style, I did not find that to present a significant deterrent in making use of this book. It's true that he writes from an academic perspective, but that is usually how textbooks are written and, to my mind, to be expected.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Pedagogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Communication
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Mass Media > Media Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Media Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Business Communication
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Communications
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Media Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences