Medical Terminology For Dummies Paperback – Dec 3 2008
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The fun and easy way to understand, pronounce, and apply medical terminology
Don't know a carcinoma from a hematoma? This friendlyguide gets you up to speed quickly on medical terminology fundamentals, helping you master definitions, pronunciations, and applications across all medical fields. Once you understand medical prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you'll approach even unfamiliar medical terms with confidence.
Recognize common root words — identify words that apply to body regions, organs, anatomy, and pathology
Pronounce and use terms with ease —grasp the phonics of medical terms and understand the context of words, from hospital to pharmacy to test lab
Break words down — understand unfamiliar words by defining their elements and recombining them; and get familiar with prefixes and suffixes, plurals and multiples
Get a handle on anatomy and systems — bone up on terms that describe and are related to the body's systems, from skeletal and muscular to gastrointestinal and endocrine
Learn the lingo — familiarize yourself with common terms used in the ER, OR, pharmacy, and lab
Get to the source— understand Greek and Latin sources of medical terms
Open the book and find:
Tips for understanding unfamiliar medical terms
Explanations of Greek and Latin roots and structures
Definitions of common prefixes and suffixes
Guidance in pronouncing medical terms
Word roots commonly used in hospitals, pharmacies, and labs
Terms for diseases, lab tests, and medications
Useful mnemonic devices
Helpful word-building activities
About the Author
Beverley Henderson, CMT, has 35 years of medical terminology and transcription experience in a hospital setting, and has taught and developed curricula for Medical Terminology courses at the college level.
Jennifer Dorsey is a writer, editor, and author of several books.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book gave me the confidence to sign up for an online course that I wasn't sure I could take on until I read it.
I have not made my way through it all yet, but I have been happy with the explainations that I have read so far. Easy to read, easy to understand.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I would recommend everyone going into this field to buy this book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > For Dummies Store > Education > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Health, Mind & Body > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Medicine
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > Medicine
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Reference
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Dictionaries & Terminology
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Education & Training
- Books > Science & Math > Education
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Education & Training
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Internal Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Reference > Dictionaries & Terminology
- Books > Science & Math > Reference > Medical > Dictionaries & Terminology
- Books > Textbooks