4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
- Published on Amazon.com
Healthy Cuisine for Today's Cook
By Kris Rudolph
Rudolph points out in Mexican Light that Pre-Columbian Mexican cuisine was not high in fat and low in fiber. In her book she brings her readers more into line with early cooking and offers her text in Spanish as well as English on opposite pages. Progressing through the book, the author expands on her views, covers basic Mexican ingredients, then goes on to assist with helpful information on the many chiles available to us.
Here are the ingredients in some of Rudolph's well-thought-out recipes designed to be delicious Mexican yet light for our health's sake.
* Roasted Garlic Soup with Spinach and Chicken: includes tomatoes and eggs
* Chicken Vegetable Consomme: contains broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, onion, lime juice and Serrano chiles
* Chunky Pico de Gallo: white onion, tomatoes, Serrano chiles, avocados, cilantro and lime juice.
* Roasted Cactus Salad: Nopales, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chile and lime.
* Green Salad with Jicama, Mango and Cumcumber: She uses toasted, slivered almonds in this salad.
* Vegetable and Goat Cheese Chiles Rellenos: calls for mushrooms, bell pepper, zucchini, red onion, tomato corn and spices.
* Chicken Tinga: onion, garlic, tomato, oregano and chipotle chiles
* Pork Loin with Mango-Chipotle Salsa: roasts these together with green onions, lime juice and cilantro
* Cauliflower with Spicy Tomatoes: garlic, onion, jalapeno pepper, green olives, capers, lime juice and parsley
* Green Beans a la Mexicana: a simple concoction of garlic, olive oil, tomatoes and cilantro
* Vegetable-Stuffed Chayote: onion, red bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, cilantro, oregano and Manchego cheese
* Mango Mousse: calls for lime juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, whipping cream and vanilla
Mexican Light ends with Rudolph pulling it all together with some exciting dinner party menus. She also offers suggestions for which items can be prepared early and how early.
Review by Marty Martindale ©2006, Largo FL