Vous voulez voir cette page en français ? Cliquez ici.

Have one to sell? Sell yours here
Tell the Publisher!
I'd like to read this book on Kindle

Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.

Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Programming Unleashed [Paperback]

John Papa , Matthew Shepker
2.5 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (4 customer reviews)

Available from these sellers.



Book Description

July 1999 Unleashed
Certified professionals offer the benefits of their experiences in a variety of SQL Server settings as well as useful tips and workarounds to common problems. Overview of Major Topics- Part I. Advanced Programming Techniques Part II. SQL Server - Essential Programming Solutions Part III. Migrating to SQL Server- Data Conversion and Integration Part IV. Programming Internal and External Connections Part V- Programming Real-World Implementations Part VI- Reference The authors also provide shortcut programs to solve common problems and ways to make code work more efficiently and with less traffic between the client and the server. This book offers much more than the closest competition, which offers only Microsoft-based solutions in an homogeneously Microsoft environment.

Product Details


Product Description

From the Back Cover

Certified professionals offer the benefits of their experiences in a variety of SQL Server settings as well as useful tips and workarounds to common problems. Overview of Major Topics: Part I. Advanced Programming Techniques Part II. SQL Server - Essential Programming Solutions Part III. Migrating to SQL Server: Data Conversion and Integration Part IV. Programming Internal and External Connections Part V: Programming Real-World Implementations Part VI: Reference The authors also provide shortcut programs to solve common problems and ways to make code work more efficiently and with less traffic between the client and the server. This book offers much more than the closest competition, which offers only Microsoft-based solutions in an homogeneously Microsoft environment.

Sell a Digital Version of This Book in the Kindle Store

If you are a publisher or author and hold the digital rights to a book, you can sell a digital version of it in our Kindle Store. Learn more

Customer Reviews

5 star
0
3 star
0
2 star
0
2.5 out of 5 stars
2.5 out of 5 stars
Most helpful customer reviews
4.0 out of 5 stars Where can I get source code? Oct. 27 2000
By Chuck
Format:Paperback
The boook is very good to beginners. Without source code, reader is hard to practice.
Was this review helpful to you?
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money! April 7 2000
By A Customer
Format:Paperback
This is the worst book I've ever read!
First of all, there is nothing advanced in this book! Each chapter tries to cover one aspect/tech with 75% basic features. The other 25% usually is sample codes which you may not be interested at all.
There are many chapters which should not be in this book. For example, the chapter covers "Visual C++ with SQL server" is full of ODBC API functions, nothing specific about SQL Server 7. Another chapter for "Microsoft COM/DCOM" is nothing but a bad whitepaper for COM/DCOM. You can get a lot better idea of COM/DCOM by reading the white paper by Don Box. And the list goes on...
This book has 13 authors - 1 from Canada, 1 from Australia, the other 11 are from at least 9 states of US! I don't think it's possible for readers to expect a consistent style/content from a book like this.
It does cover, or tries to cover, "integrating SQL Server 7 with VB, Transact-SQL, Visual C++, Visual InterDev, legacy system data from Oracle, Sybase, and Access", as stated by the editor/authors. With 30 pages on each topic, full of basic features/introduction, maybe a couple of tricks, it does not "offer depth and breadth of coverage not found in any other book on the market" (as stated by editor/authors) at all!
I believe the only usage, if any, of this book is for beginners to get an idea of some of the technologies people are using with SQL Server.
Was this review helpful to you?
1.0 out of 5 stars Advanced? Yeah, for the novices... Oct. 7 1999
Format:Paperback
The authors claim in the preface that the book covers undocumented facts and tips for SQL Server 7. Nothing could be farther from truth considering that the book is not even up to date in coverage of the newer areas. Microsoft's strategic direction for data access is going to be OLE-DB(Object linking and embedding database, as the book says!!), yet they devote more than 150 pages to the drab ODBC.
Was this review helpful to you?
By A Customer
Format:Paperback
The book helped a lot in gaining insight as to how SQL Server works and how to write efficient programs. The author has a very original and pleasant style; the book is more fun to read than most books of its class. However the book suffers from numerous misspellings and other technical inaccuracies, and has an irritating unevenness in the amount of detail given to various topics. A good proofreading and a 2nd edition would be in order.
Was this review helpful to you?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Amazon.com: 2.5 out of 5 stars  4 reviews
16 of 19 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Advanced? Yeah, for the novices... Oct. 7 1999
By "prudentbear" - Published on Amazon.com
Format:Paperback
The authors claim in the preface that the book covers undocumented facts and tips for SQL Server 7. Nothing could be farther from truth considering that the book is not even up to date in coverage of the newer areas. Microsoft's strategic direction for data access is going to be OLE-DB(Object linking and embedding database, as the book says!!), yet they devote more than 150 pages to the drab ODBC.
8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, great ideas; but needs proofreading Aug. 14 1999
By A Customer - Published on Amazon.com
Format:Paperback
The book helped a lot in gaining insight as to how SQL Server works and how to write efficient programs. The author has a very original and pleasant style; the book is more fun to read than most books of its class. However the book suffers from numerous misspellings and other technical inaccuracies, and has an irritating unevenness in the amount of detail given to various topics. A good proofreading and a 2nd edition would be in order.
4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money! April 7 2000
By A Customer - Published on Amazon.com
Format:Paperback
This is the worst book I've ever read!
First of all, there is nothing advanced in this book! Each chapter tries to cover one aspect/tech with 75% basic features. The other 25% usually is sample codes which you may not be interested at all.
There are many chapters which should not be in this book. For example, the chapter covers "Visual C++ with SQL server" is full of ODBC API functions, nothing specific about SQL Server 7. Another chapter for "Microsoft COM/DCOM" is nothing but a bad whitepaper for COM/DCOM. You can get a lot better idea of COM/DCOM by reading the white paper by Don Box. And the list goes on...
This book has 13 authors - 1 from Canada, 1 from Australia, the other 11 are from at least 9 states of US! I don't think it's possible for readers to expect a consistent style/content from a book like this.
It does cover, or tries to cover, "integrating SQL Server 7 with VB, Transact-SQL, Visual C++, Visual InterDev, legacy system data from Oracle, Sybase, and Access", as stated by the editor/authors. With 30 pages on each topic, full of basic features/introduction, maybe a couple of tricks, it does not "offer depth and breadth of coverage not found in any other book on the market" (as stated by editor/authors) at all!
I believe the only usage, if any, of this book is for beginners to get an idea of some of the technologies people are using with SQL Server.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Where can I get source code? Oct. 27 2000
By Chuck - Published on Amazon.com
Format:Paperback
The boook is very good to beginners. Without source code, reader is hard to practice.
Search Customer Reviews
Only search this product's reviews
ARRAY(0xb2692b04)

Look for similar items by category


Feedback