This Wrox Blox demonstrates various LINQ to SQL techniques to use in upgrading the “Articles” portion of TheBeerHouse application. The first step is migrating TheBeerHouse project from an ASP.NET 2.0 to an ASP.NET 3.5 application. Next, create a LINQ to SQL class (DBML) mapping file that will encapsulate the entire Data Access Layer for this project. Readers will become comfortable working with Entities (Tables), navigating Associations (Relationships), and working with stored procedures from a LINQ standpoint, throughout the implementation.
LINQ to SQL has quickly become a hot topic with the release of ASP.NET 3.5, so it makes sense that the TheBeerHouse application gets an upgraded Data Access Layer leveraging this new technology!
While TheBeerHouse has been ported to Visual Basic .NET, the author uses C# throughout this Wrox Blox, so readers should have at least an intermediate level of understanding with C#.
Table of Contents
Getting Started 2
Setting up Your Environment 2
Migrating TheBeerHouse Application 3
The Necessary Files 5
Putting It All Together 14
Scalar Functions 17
Dynamic Queries 20
Data Manipulation via LINQ 22
Conversion of the Category and Comment Classes 26
SPROCS versus Dynamic SQL 33
LINQ to Entities 34
About Doug Parsons 35
Usage Rights for Wiley Wrox Blox
Any Wrox Blox you purchase from this site will come with certain restrictions that allow Wiley to protect the copyrights of its products. After you purchase and download this title, you:
- Are entitled to three downloads
- Are entitled to make a backup copy of the file for your own use
- Are entitled to print the Wrox Blox for your own use
- Are entitled to make annotations and comments in the Wrox Blox file for your own use
- May not lend, sell or give the Wrox Blox to another user
- May not place the Wrox Blox file on a network or any file sharing service for use by anyone other than yourself or allow anyone other than yourself to access it
- May not copy the Wrox Blox file other than as allowed above
- May not copy, redistribute, or modify any portion of the Wrox Blox contents in any way without prior permission from Wiley
If you have any questions about these restrictions, you may contact Customer Care at (877) 762-2974 (8 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday). If you have any issues related to Technical Support, please contact us at 800-762-2974 (United States only) or 317-572-3994 (International) 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday).