I can't believe sometimes what this drill is capable of.
- Will drill through pressure-treated 2X4's with a 7/8" paddle bit no problem
- Has 2nd gear for high-speed jobs like buffing
- Will drive 3" deck screws into pressure-treated without a pilot hole
- Decent battery life, but better always keep one on the charger
- Batteries and charger (not incl.) are lightweight and fit in toolbox well
- Battery meter on side
- Feels solid
- Has clutch (not as accurate as the one on the sub-compact driver though)
- Price is right
- A little top heavy, but still a pleasure to use
- 2nd gear doesn't have much torque (maybe it could be geared a little closer to 1)
- Chuck makes a slamming noise when you abruptly stop the drill
- Ratcheting mechanism isn't strong enough to keep the chuck closed when you repeatedly start & stop the drill
- Battery must be fully (and recently) charged to deliver full torque
I use this product for work, not every single day and usually not for huge jobs. It will do the big jobs, but for really big screws, pre-drill just for good measure. It's easier to pre-drill then drive a screw in too fast and crack the lumber or bind up the drill. This drill will get into tight spaces, has the power to do what you ask it and the batteries are light.
I have this, a sub-compact driver and three batteries. The sub-compact driver I use for assembling and disassembling machines as it has a wonderful clutch on it that is very fine and accurate. Between the two tools, if I always keep a battery on the charger, I never have to stop. DOES NOT REPLACE YOUR 18 VOLT DRILL.
Bottom line: Tough enough for everyday use, but it won't do an 18 volt's job.
FOLLOW UP: September 20, 2010:
Been using it for a while now, yesterday used it to replace broken electric fence insulators. Does the job just fine, I still love it, I'd still give it 5/5 stars.