Format: Paperback|Change

on May 13, 2016
This is a really good book. I have a normal sized copy of it that I read over and over to my son. The illustrations are so engaging that you can constantly discover new things in them. I ordered a copy for a friend's new baby but was shocked when this mini version arrived. It is the same book but one quarter the size. This might be nice in the car or on the go, but the full impact of the drawings and the reading experience is lost due to the small size. The full sized version no longer appears to be available. I highly recommend this book but in the original full size.
on September 20, 2006
This was my all-time favourite book when I was growing up, and it hasn't lost any of its charm, its humour or its flair in the years since it was published. Mr Magnolia is a bit of a twit, and needs a lot of help to find his boot. Quentin Blake's illustrations are fun, colourful and irrepressible, and the lines and such flow and flair, you can't help but read it with the emphasis on the last word, i.e. very energetically! I still have my much-mended old copy from years ago, but I couldn't pass up a chance to recommend this to every child, and every adult too.
on April 2, 2000
This charming English tale follows the follies of Mr. Magnolia who "has only one boot." Cartoon style, water-colored line drawings explore the various rhyming friends of this quirky musician. My two year old daugter chimes in with delight as we encounter sisters who play the flute, a frog and a newt, a dinosaur...what a brute. While this book seems like nothing to a parent, children request to hear it over and over again. It's an instant favorite and a non-overpowering introduction to ryhmes.