Mohamed's Ghosts: An American Story Of Love and Fear in the Homeland Hardcover – Apr 6 2010
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“[A] sympathetic, eloquent account.”
“Salisbury is a skilled investigative journalist.”
About the Author
Stephan Salisbury is the senior cultural writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer where he has been a reporter for three decades. He has covered everything from the Pennsylvania prison system, unrest in Ireland and Eastern Europe, the coup in Turkey, to the culture wars in the United States and disruptions of American life in the wake of September 11, 2001. He has received numerous awards and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize as part of an Inquirer team investigating local election fraud in 1995. He is married to the painter, Jennifer Baker; they have a daughter and a son.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
At the time of 9/11 and until summer of 2003, I was actually living in the Middle East, the West Bank of Palestine to be precise. For that reason I was NOT subjected to the constant televised drumbeat of anti-Muslim propaganda that most westerners were exposed to for years.
I found Stephan Salisbury's book both informative and quite shocking at times, given that I had had years of experience living and working with Muslims in Palestine and had come to empathize with their struggle to some extent, and I should point out that at no point did I ever feel in danger.
Even now, at the end of 2011, I find the thinking of many Americans puzzling to say the least, when it comes to the subject of Muslims and Islam. They could well benefit from reading Mohamed's Ghosts; those with an open mind, that is.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Deals in Books
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 21st Century
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > 21st Century
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Race Relations