Muppet Movie, the [Import]
This simply irresistible first feature from the Muppets has Kermit the frog going from the swamps to Hollywood to be a star. As he travels and picks up his usual friends (Miss Piggy, Fozzie the Bear), Doc Hopper (Charles Durning) is in pursuit, looking for Kermit to be the spokesman for his frog-leg cuisine. A loose rendition of The Wizard of Oz, the film incorporates the same cagey humor as their breakout syndicated TV series The Muppet Show. This is one of the few times that a human cast (notably Steve Martin, Orson Welles, and Carol Kane) are integrated seamlessly with nonhumans. Worth noting is Paul Williams's score, which includes the Oscar-nominated "The Rainbow Connection." Williams's music, much like Howard Ashman's work on The Little Mermaid and other Disney films, provides more than atmosphere; there's a degree of magic here. Williams did not work on the future Muppet films until A Muppet Christmas Carol. His contributions made these films the best of the Muppet series. --Doug Thomas
Pepe Profiles Presents -- Kermit: A Frog's Life: Pepe the King Prawn takes an insider's look at the life and times of Kermit the Frog. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Now then, I always watched the Muppets very aware that the movies were working on both the child and adult level, and happily put in the DVD anticipating my favorite muppet joke of all: when Kermit walks into a bar after having lost Piggy and says, sadly, "I'll have a grasshopper, please."
Great joke! Kids won't know what a "grasshopper" is or that he is boozing over being stood up--they'll just tune out til the music!
So why did they cut it from the DVD?
Especially when they kept the visual that Kermit drank alllll the champagne after Piggy left, and Rowlf's assertion that every night he has "a coupla beers." This PC thing has gone too far. I suppose it's not enough to deduct a whole star--except it's my all time fave muppet moment.
Oh well, love the movie. And love the DVD option of watching it in French, where they have to change Piggy's trademark "Moi!" to "Me."
All the Muppets are here from Kermit to Miss Piggie, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rolf the dog, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, Dr. Munson Honeydew and Beaker, and many others. There are plenty of cameos including Edgar Bergen, Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, James Coburn, Dom Deluise, Elliot Gould, Bob Hope, Madeline Kahn, Carol Kane, Cloris Leachman, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Telly Savalas, Orson Welles, and Paul Williams. Steve Martin and Mel Brooks are the funniest as a sarcastic waiter and a mad scientist. Charles Durning is also very good as Doc Hopper with his bumbling assistant, Max played by Austin Pendleton. Fans of the Muppets of all ages with love this classic about how the Muppets came to be!
Most recent customer reviews
je déplore que le français ne soit pas disponible dans le "setting" car la pochette semblait bilingue.sinon très beau filmPublished on Jan. 8 2014 by Micheline Benoit
See the movie that started the phenomenon!
Looking for a way to show your children The Muppets?
Complete your collection with the movies you grew up with! Read more
Just wanted to say that this film truly is a classic and it holds up well. We bought it for our 3 year old...as my husband and I held fond memories of it... Read morePublished on Dec 6 2005
Bonjour...je voudrais juste dire que j'Aimerais bien obtenir ce DVD sur votre site, malheureusement il n'est jamais disponible!!!Alors SVP... Read morePublished on Jan. 31 2005
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Comedy Directors > Mel Brooks
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Comedy Stars > Mel Brooks
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 10-12 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Jim Henson Home Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Muppets
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Family Films
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Comedy
- Video > Art House & International > British Cinema > Music & Musicals
- Video > Art House & International > By Country > United Kingdom > Music & Musicals
- Video > Art House & International > European Cinema > United Kingdom > Music & Musicals
- Video > Comedy > Comedy Directors > Mel Brooks
- Video > Comedy > Comedy Stars > Mel Brooks
- Video > Comedy > Musicals
- Video > Drama > By Genre > Musicals
- Video > Kids & Family > 10-12 Years
- Video > Kids & Family > 3-6 Years
- Video > Kids & Family > 7-9 Years
- Video > Kids & Family > Family Films
- Video > Kids & Family > Puppets
- Video > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Comedy
- Video > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Drama