biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 15, 2010
This is a funny but insightful read. Russell is very forthcoming with his experiences- both positive and negative. My favourite part is that he never blames anyone else for his mistakes- he owns up to them and shows you have to work hard to regain trust. Really good book!
on August 23, 2008
The subject matter can be pretty awful: The book begins with Brand's sad childhood and moves on to accounts of depravity fueled by his addictions to drugs and sex.
And where his nearly pathological self-absorption might be tough to swallow, Brand writes like a good novelist. He paints the characters of his life with sensitivity and a wicked, but sweet, sense of humour that somehow makes it all easier to take.
This is by far the best book I read this summer. My copy is battered and water-stained and has sand stuck in its pages because it went everywhere with me until I was done.
So whether you find him terribly annoying or terribly adorable--and few who have heard of Russell Brand can be found outside of one of those camps--I venture that you will never forget his story.
on July 16, 2009
I think this guy is hilarious. He's also very good at making fun of himself, which is a quality many of us don't have. Even so, it's a great read about his life and failures. I think just about anyone would enjoy this one. I'd also recommend, to go along with it, I Was Told There'd Be Cake.
on May 25, 2014
Russell Brand's witty stand-up translates will to the pages of a book. He recounts his childhood and early career with the same exuberance one can expect from seeing his routine. He punctuates his tales with philosophical musings and gives reasons why he may have acted in this way. As he progresses from promising drama student to addict he notes how his friends and family continued to pull him from the depths and attempt to set him straight.

He swings from success to failure but never pauses on either of these, instead he charges forward to the next business venture or act of debauchery. On the surface one wouldn't expect a person like Brand to have the potential for deep thoughts or eloquent writing but often I found myself underlines a particularly poignant line or pausing to look yet another word up in the dictionary. Eventually he finds himself in rehab where he cleans himself up ready to take on the world of comedy sober.

Those who enjoy Brand's comedy will find this book very enjoyable. His insights into his past illuminate parts of who he is today. Even people who are unfamiliar with Brand's work will no doubt be entertained by his stories. Rarely did I find myself becoming bored during a chapter or wishing he'd 'get to the point already'. Brand knows when to elaborate and when to cut to the chase.
on August 19, 2015
This is a great, easy read.

As some others have mentioned, Russel Brand owns all his troubles. He doesn't lay any blame.

This book has some great humour as well as sadness.

It is a real page turner. I quite enjoyed this book. So much so, that I bought his next two books too.
on September 13, 2008
This book is fantastically written. he combines Comedy with tragedy in the most amazing way. Even if you don't like Russell Brand I recommend reading this book because his life is something out of a movie, and he knows how to tell his story.
on August 7, 2015
I used to blindly hate Russell Brand. What a dumb approach. He's excellent. I love his views and his honesty. He melds humour with tribulations of life!
on November 10, 2015
I enjoy Russel Brand's humour, quick wit and outspoken politics but quickly lost interest in this book. Never finished it - gave it away!
on October 12, 2014
I like Russell Brand sense of humour but this book should be rated X, not a good read for kids in case they get their hands on it.
on September 8, 2014
Love Russell!! Love his work and this book is no exception!!