Rather than make up trivial programs just to illustrate aspects of the MySQL/PHP environment, this book features code snippets, half a page or so in length each, which illustrate the behaviour of key code structures. For example, in explaining conditional statements in PHP, the book gives you a no-frills IF statement with real values in place. It's not always obvious how the code structures will behave in practice, but the book does a consistently good job of commenting intelligently on the place of each aspect of the language in a well-designed application. The latter half attacks specific problems--a chat system, a guest book, and so on--and walks through the setup of MySQL and each important PHP function for each. --David Wall
Topics covered: The PHP server-side scripting language and the MySQL database server, explained for people who have neither a lot of database administration background nor programming experience. Matters of creating and querying databases, and of performing simple and advanced operations with PHP scripting, are covered adroitly.
- Demonstrates Web application development by presenting ten real, ready-to-use examples
- Samples start with a simple guess book and end with a fully-functional e-commerce site with a shopping cart
- New features include both MySQL 4.1 and PHP 4.2
- Latest edition contains new applications including log analysis and project tracking
- CD-ROM includes all the code and examples applications from the book in addition to MySQL, PHP, Apache, PHP classes, libraries, utilities, and other tools