- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
NASA Space Shuttle Manual: An Insight into the Design, Construction and Operation of the NASA Space Shuttle Hardcover – Apr 18 2011
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"More than 250 photographs and technical illustrations complement the authoritative text, giving insight into this marvel of space-age technology."
INTERNATIONAL PLASTIC MODELERS SOCIETY USA
"This volume is definitely a “must have” for anybody interested in the Shuttle program or seriously building a model of one of these legendary machines. Outstanding!"
"With modern imagery and text reflective of the program’s long history, [NASA Space Shuttle Owners' Workshop Manual] encapsulates all of the accomplishments that the vehicle’s design allowed to become a reality...well worth the price."
About the Author
David Baker joined the U.S. space program during the Apollo years and later worked on the development of NASA’s Space Shuttle. He has written widely on the spaceflight technology and is the editor of Aviation News.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As with the Haynes Saturn V/Apollo manual, it encompasses the program from top to bottom, nicely touching on everything. Also, as with the other manual, there are so many details not included that just can't all be stuffed into one book that would fit on a bookshelf. It is not a disappointing lack of information at all, though.
The only missing, which I really enjoyed in the Saturn V/Apollo manual, is line-art drawings of the control panels. There are many nice pictures of the interior of the Shuttle, but the line-art is just cleaner to look at from a technical aspect. Perhaps the author couldn't include any because of the different configurations the control panels have had over the various iterations of Shuttle cockpits. It also could be an impossibility since the latest generation glass-panel cockpit is color-screen driven and re-configurable during flight!
P.S. It's hardcover! I didn't notice that until I received it, what a great surprise!
Unfortunately, the majority of the book is history, with brief technical sections sprinkled throughout the book. Not that this is a bad thing, as the information contained within is a great read. I was simply hoping for more technical stuff. Engineering type stuff. You know, Haynes Manual type stuff.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Military Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Astronomy > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy > Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Astrophysics
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Aeronautical Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Military Sciences