4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
- Published on Amazon.com
First, I wanted to say I've seen all the episodes of the old series and both the first and second movies, and now this, so I have a pretty good baseline by which to evaluate this.
First, the content list.
1) The Blu-Ray, which contains both the theatrical release and the director's cut, with no extras. ***CORRECTION: The Blu-Ray contains multiple deleted scenes and outtakes, some funny and others just so so.
2) The regular DVD, which contains the theatrical release only, with no extras.
3) A digital copy of the movie, which you unlock using the enclosed code. (you'll need at least version 11 of MS Media Player for this).
4) Two sets of 3D glasses, the old style with red and blue lenses.
I first viewed the regular DVD, and I was a bit taken aback to see that it only contains the movie in analglyph (old style 3D), with no way to switch over to regular 2D.
That means none of the modern 3D effects, folks.
We're talking 1950s-era technology here.
I then watched the director's cut version on the Blu-Ray, which was only in 2D, as is the theatrical release available on the same disk.
Now for the movie itself.
Some of the stunts were really amusing, some were only mildly so, and others were either just plain stupid (even by Jackass standards), or too disgusting for even someone of my sort with a cast iron stomach.
I'll just do a stunt-by-stunt rundown of my thoughts.
1) Opening credits - actually liked this quite a lot, with the enhanced "Phantom Camera" slow-mo effects.
2) High Five - Very simple, but quite amusing, especially how they did Bam.
3) The Jet Ski - Okay, but looked more painful than funny.
4) Tee Ball - Steve-O takes the obligatory nut shot from a baseball attached to a swinging arm...more painful than funny.
5) The Bungee Boogie - Okay, this was more like it. Not very fancy, but some surprisingly good execution on the stunt, and some good laughs.
6) The Rocky - Yes, painful, but the phantom camera showed the facial contortions in all their comedic glory.
7) Beehive Tetherball - More like the Jackass we all know and love. Pain mixed with some laughs. Loved Dave's screams of agony.
8) Jet Airplane - Really liked the old Maxell commercial tribute at the very beginning. Really funny and even a bit dangerous.
9) Roller-skate Buffalo - Yes, pointless and painful, but still pretty funny concept. Really liked Knoxville's antics leading up to the inevitable pummeling from a young bison. Roger Miller would have appreciated how his classic song was used for this.
10) Toy Train Eruption - Not much more to say here but YUCK! Anyone remembering Dave's scatological stunts in the first two movies won't be much surprised by this one.
11) Midgets in a Bar Fight - More classic Jackass tomfoolery. Weeman pulls this off quite well, with a little help from his friends. Especially liked the "cops" and "paramedics" showing up.
12) Electric Avenue - Great stuff here. Very painful, but definitely more classic Jackass.
13) The Field Goal - Preston takes yet another for the team. Very low tech, but just okay humor-wise, and more painful than anything else.
14) Super Mighty Glue - Low tech, but more like the old style Jackass stunts. Pretty funny.
15) Dildo Gun - Only a guy could find this funny, but even my wife laughed at this one. Great use of the phantom camera on the "projectile."
16) Buy a Scooter - Saw this one coming a mile away. Obviously a setup, since the window was clearly made of sugar glass.
17) Pontius the Barbarian - Good one. Two Emperor scorpions do battle with Pontius's chin, 'nuff said.
18) Sweat Suit Cocktail - Yuck! Even *I* had a tough time watching this through the conclusion. This is one of the reasons Steve-O gets the big bucks.
19) The Christmas Tree - The Dudesons make an appearance for this. Pretty funny, but more dangerous and painful than anything else.
20) Pin the Tail on the Donkey - Okay, had to laugh at this one. Danger Ehren's leg shaking made this particularly funny.
21) Rocky 2 - Same comments as for the first installment of this.
22) The Blind Side - VERY low tech, and pointless, unless you just like seeing Knoxville getting laid out.
23) Bad Dog - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Very low tech, very painful, and very pointless.
24) Helicockter - Pointless, but somewhat funny. Certainly no highlight.
25) Snake River Redemption - Great stuff. Poignant watching the now deceased Ryan Dunn land the jump.
26) Apple of my Ass - Pretty pointless. Just more of Preston humiliating himself.
27) Duck Hunting - Really liked this one, especially Dunn's cartwheeling.
28) Really Bad Grandpa - Pretty funny, but nowhere near as funny as the original "Bad Grandpa" in the second movie. The young woman they used in this is quite attractive, even though they used makeup to create the illusion of her being much younger than she actually is.
29) The Ram Jam - Not much happening except for a pugnacious ram slamming the daylights out of Ryan carrying a tuba. Still, pretty amusing overall.
30) Golf Ball Racquetball - Ouch! Nothing else to say.
31) Lamborghini Tooth Pull - Danger Ehren endures some excruciating pain. Pretty funny.
32) Penis Peeing Camera - Not very funny, just disgusting. The only thing moderately funny is when you realize what that object is to the immediate left of the camera's field of view.
33) Gorilla in the Hotel Room - Just not buying that April and Phil didn't know right away that this was Chris in a suit instead of a real ape.
34) The Invisible Man - Pretty funny, especially watching Knoxville blend into the background that matches his suit.
35) Snake Trap - Bam just gets angry, and that's about it. Nowhere near as funny as the King cobra stunt in the second movie.
36) Penis Baseball - What else did anyone expect Pontius to do but go completely naked once again?
37) Will the Farter - Laughed really hard at this. Crude, yes, but REALLY funny.
38) Poo Cocktail Supreme - Just too disgusting, period.
Having watched all three movies, I can say without qualification that the second movie is by far the funniest, even if it has what I consider the most disgusting bits of all, Dave and Bam eating horse apples and the bit with Chris and the stallion.
The first movie comes in second, with the movie being reviewed here coming in a distant third.
Also, unlike with the first two movies, you get no commentary track, which I often find this nearly as funny as the regular movie audio.
You do get a few deleted scenes/outtakes, and some of those are pretty funny, while others were little more than filler.
I should also warn those of you with young kids that there are at least two bits with complete nudity and (less important) some very foul language.