I had high hopes for this little gadget as a replacement for the white board or sticky note reminders I leave for myself and family. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth. Here's why:
- The buttons seem a little slow to respond even with brand new batteries
- It takes four button pushes (with hesitant reaction from the gadget) to record a video - one to "wake" the device, one to put it in record mode, one to begin recording, and another to stop recording. This takes 10 - 15 seconds not including the video recording itself.
- The audio is terrible - playback is too loud when recording with normal speaking voice, scratchy sound
- Recording display shows your reversed image which doesn't seem like a big deal but it's very unnatural to have to move yourself to the left to get the video image to move to the right.
- When standing at a comfortable distance away from the camera to push the buttons it records the image very close up which may contribute to the bad sound, too.
- If more than one message is recorded and they are meant for more than one person, if one person sees the flashing alert that there is a new message, they listen to all of them and then the light no longer flashes. Then the next person doesn't know there is a message for them. Maybe that's a lot to expect from this little device but it sure does make it awkward to use.
- There's a typo on the box. (Not a big deal, just an observation.)
I was hoping to use this as a quick way to leave reminders - like "don't forget your football pads" or "buy milk, eggs, and bread." For me it hasn't convinced me to put down the sticky notes. For what I would use it for it's really not useful.
However, if you're leaving messages back and forth with one other person in the household - "Dinner is in the fridge. Heat it up at 350 for 15 minutes" or sweet love notes, this may work.
Aesthetically, it is a cute little device. The magnet is strong enough to hold it securely onto the refrigerator. It also comes with a flat magnet that has a sticker on the back so if you want to mount the Play somewhere that isn't magnetized you can. (Like a car dashboard.)