The Viz's "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind Box Set" is just about perfect and everything that a manga edition should aspire to be. I've decided to upload a series of photos so you can appreciate for yourself what a treat this edition is. The package consists of 2 large hardcovers books inside a beutiful and strong slipcase, including a small color poster. Nausicaä was previously published in 7 softcover volumes and is now collected in full in this 2 HC books. So for all of that, the $60 price tag (much less with Amazon discount), is an unbeatable value.
Both story and art is by Hayao Miyazaki, that's right, HAYAO MIYAZAKI: the man who co-founded the internationally acclaimed Studio Ghibli, one of the greatest genius of animation this world have ever seen. The art is simply amazing, the storytelling is brilliant, the pages are full of life and detail and magic.
* * * * * These are the highlights of the edition * * * * *
- The format is over-sized (like Akira's volumes), with a trim-size much larger than the one we are used to for mangas: the books are 10,4 by 7,3 inches. This gives you a much better appreciation of the art, and that's exactly what you want, being Miyazaki's pages so full of detail and wonder.
- Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!
- Both books are hardcovers with sewn-binding, which allows for a very comfortable reading experience. It's a real pleasure to be able to enjoy a manga in HC format, as opossed as softcovers, it feels like a real luxury.
- The printing quality is excellent, with sharp line-art and a delicate sepia tone ink.
- The paper quality is beautiful and very apt for the reproduction of art. The paper stock is NOT glossy; it's traditional manga paper stock, but it isn't flimsy or cheap at all. It's really nice and proper for the edition.
- Each volume includes 8 pages in color at the beginning of the book. This pages are printed in glossy paper stock and the art reproduction is beautiful, with vivid colors and outstanding detail.
- The slipcase is very solid and well-build, and the books fit perfectly inside of it.
- The box set also includes a small two-sided color poster (16,5 x 11,7 inches), which is a very nice adition to the package.
- The reading order is from right to left, respecting the original page layout.
In conclusion, the Nausicaä deluxe box set is the best edition of a manga I've ever seen. I really hope Viz and other publishers release critically acclaimed titles like Akira or Vagabond in deluxe editions just like this one.