- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Network Your Computer & Devices Step by Step Paperback – Dec 23 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Build exactly the skills you need. Learn at the pace you want.
About the Author
Ciprian Rusen is a technology aficionado, working as an IT Project Manager for a major consumer goods corporation. During work hours, he manages complex rollouts of enterprise IT solutions, and, in his spare time, loves to experiment with the latest technologies, learn how to best use them, and share his knowledge with others. He coordinates the 7 Tutorials team: Florina Muntenescu, Chuck Houghton, Maximilian Robu, Jack Busch and George Grigorita. Together, they write tutorials for Windows 7 users, helping them to get the best possible computing experience.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Note: This book is geared towards a reader who is familiar with software installation and configuration. It also assumes you have a network card installed. This is mentioned in the introduction along with other requirements.
Expecting the book would be too basic for a SysAdmin, I still learned some new things. It was surprising that a book with five authors stayed both cohesive and focused.
* Instructions are detailed and accompanied by screen shots. Some steps are duplicated, but this helps each section stand on its own and references to relevant chapters are given.
* Both routers covered (in detail) are realistic choices based on popularity/price.
* WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is discouraged and readers are encouraged to use WPA2-PSK to secure their wireless network.
* The authors went beyond just networking your systems and also covered built-in security tools such as Microsoft Update, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
* Operating systems other than the book's focus (Windows 7) are covered including Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.6, and even Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.10.
One thing I might change would be the 35 pages spent in chapter 9 prepping Windows Media Player 12 for content streaming. However, it could be argued that this was necessary in order to give a more realistic starting point.
All in all, I would recommend this book to those looking to incorporate Windows 7 into their home network.
(I received a pdf copy of this book gratis so as to facilitate this review)
1. Even my parents can network their devices (because I bought them a copy of this book)!
2. I can keep my kids off the computer(s!) between certain hours (mmmuhh--hhwaahhh--hhhhaaa...)!
3. My sister can figure out what is wrong with her wireless router (really--because I bought her a copy, too)!
4. I don't have to travel to troubleshoot (oh, how I love to sleep in...)!
If you are looking for a way out of fixing your kinfolk's Windows 7 networking issues, too, then this is the book for you--and them!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Mac Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Mac Server
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Macs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > PCs
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Operating Systems > Windows NT Server
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > MacOS
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems