|1. Change of Ideas|
|2. Big Bang|
|3. No Control|
|4. Sometimes I Feel Like|
|5. Automatic Man|
|6. I Want to Conquer the World|
|9. It Must Look Pretty Appealing|
|12. I Want Something More|
|15. World Won't Stop|
On No Control you can sense the growing pains. Personally, I don't think it holds a candle to the album it followed OR the album it preceded... Still, on this one you can hear the band become supreme punk badasses, veering into alien territory. Greg and Brett are starting to adopt their own unique lyrical tacts, and the band is exploring different rhythms and shifts in sonic texture. It's far better produced than any of their preceding albums. Lyrically it's closer to Suffer, musically it edges into the blazing speed attack that burned so bright on against the grain and dimmed on subsequent releases (Generator, Stranger than Fiction, Recipe for hate...)
While I dig Suffer's brazen rawness more than this and Against the Grains tightly constrained yet explosive fury more than this- without No Control everything that came later might not have come to pass. So I am thankful for it. had it not been for Bad religion, all of the crappy bands I played in would have been even crappier... If you can imagine...
Pick it up. It's better than anything you'll hear on your local alternative rock (whatever that means these days) station.
1. Change of Ideas - Great song to open with, it sums up the whole mood of the album. Awesome harmony.
2. Big Bang - Easily one of the best songs on the album: the quintessence of old school, fast-paced, purely intense punk!
3. No Control - Cool double vocals and one of those catchy songs that always gets stuck in your head. Good song to name the album after. Greg's harmonizing is great in this song!
4. Sometimes I Feel Like - Sick idea, great song. CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THESE GUYS!! Greg's voice is whiny but smooth at the same time, a nice combination.
5. Automatic Man - Pretty rad guitar. I always like it when bands incorporate group singing into songs, it adds a nice effect.
6. I Want To Conquer the World - DEFINITELY the best song on the CD. Wonderful melody, guitar riffs, and lyrics!! It's a pretty funny song, and when I think of BR, this song always comes to mind. It's one of their best.
7. Sanity - Not my favorite, but nothing Bad Religion does is ever "bad". It's just a little boring, not one of their good slow songs. They sound better fast.
8. Henchman - Intense, a really good song. It's really fast and has the signature Greg Graffin harmonizing.
9. It must Look Pretty Appealing - Nothing really stands out, but a great song nonetheless.
10. You - Funny song, Greg gets badass and swears! It's one of my favorites on the CD...great melody! It's got one of those great prolonged endings.
11. Progress - RAD song! It's got awesome rhythm and gets right to the point. No extra long riffs or pauses.
12. I Want Something More - Short and perfect! Intense from beginning to end.
13.Read more ›