CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802) (2nd Edition) Hardcover – Sep 4 2007
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Wendell Odom, CCIE® No. 1624, has been in the networking industry since 1981. He currently teaches QoS, MPLS, and CCNA courses for Skyline Advanced Technology Services (www.skyline-ats.com). Wendell has also worked as a network engineer, consultant, systems engineer, and instructor and course developer and has taught authorized Cisco courses for the majority of the last 14 years.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Overall, the quality of the writing is good, with easy explanation which ramps up in difficulty at an even pace, rather than just throwing you in at the deep end with no easier foundation. It's important to get a good understanding of the basics, and I would recommend that a person studying also has readily available equipment at hand to be able to practice on.
Only down side is the silly, unimpressive software that comes on the CD. It's sold as a good source of extra information, but is fairly useless.
This is a tough course and thus requires some hard reading.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
- The "library" contains two separate books: (1) CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide Second Edition and (2) CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide Second Edition.
- Unlike some competitive titles you might come across, this CCNA library cleanly divides the topics of the 640-822 (CCENT/ICND1) exam and the 640-816 (ICND2) exam. So, if a candidate wanted to achieve their CCNA certification by taking the individual exams, they could study the corresponding book from the library. Alternately, if they wanted to take the composite 640-802 CCNA exam, they could study the entire library.
- Cisco Press' "Official Exam Certification Guide" series contains several features that readers can benefit from:
o Icons identifying key topics
o A "Do I Know This Already?" pre-test at the beginning of a chapter
o Memory tables
o Identification of key terms
- Each of the two books in the library contains a DVD and a CD. Each DVD contains personal Video Mentor-style demonstrations of topics by the author.
- Each CD allows you to install a corresponding practice exam from Boson, which has a nice testing engine supporting simulation and testlet questions, in addition to the traditional multiple choice questions found in many competing products.
- The author doesn't just hit the high points, but rather provides in-depth treatment to the myriad of topics on the CCNA exam.
- Binary math and subnet masking are major CCNA topics, and one of the CDs contains a binary math game, which plays much like a video game.
The think I find most striking about this library is the price. It includes a total of two books, two DVDs, and two CDs for a list price of $59.99. As an owner of many Cisco Press books, I consider this to be one the best values out there for CCNA prep.
Since I teach, I wanted some true `students' opinions, so I handed off my copy of this Library set to a number of individuals who had either just passed their test or were studying with other materials. I asked them their opinion of this new edition, asking them to look at all the new study materials and features included in these volumes. The comments I received back were very enthusiastic. They really liked the fact that the books contain both DVD and CDrom resources. The DVD has a series of videos on IP addressing and subnetting, while the CD has several practice scenarios with excellent step by step of explanations how the answer was achieved (just like in a class room). There is even a companion book website that assists the student in further clarification of questions in the book and new postings by the authors on relevant topics. One response back on the book especially liked that it spoke clearly to what is on the CCNA exam and the fact that there was an exhaustive table of Exam topics and where in the book the subject was covered. Other feedback from my small group referred to the testing engine from Boson that provides the student a chance to test just like the real thing. Suffice to say, my little group students wished they had had these great resources when studying for the CCNA.
As for my opinion of the book, I think that the writing and clarity of the composition, in logical progression and consistent format, is what I strive to deliver when I teach, so I really appreciate the effort that went into the creation of these books by the authors. I understand the amount of work it takes to create solid educational materials. Lastly, there is a good last chapter that goes into final preparation, including study plans, relating how and what to practice and how to approach the CCNA testing. This is the same advise that I give students when I teach. This new CCNA Library is a great resource and I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for a self-paced, study program or as supplemental material in addition to other CCNA learning materials.
Gary Roesler, CCIE #11451
Overall the lack of review questions and polish in the new chapters really give the reader a sort of "rushed" feeling.
Other than the obvious attempt to pad the page count (and the distracting nature of his tangents) once you can get past this the book is really quite informative. As a group, we are getting a lot out of it, and his way of explaining subject matter has proven to be thorough. He also doesn't seem to be talking down or assuming you should already know more than you do. I could do without the tangents as previously stated, as well as some awkward attempts at humor throughout the book, but all-in-all, not bad. Then again, we may change our minds depending on how we do on the tests!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > CCNA
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Education & Reference > Studying & Workbooks > Study Guides
- Books > Education & Reference > Studying & Workbooks > Study Skills
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Test Prep & Study Guides